Time to vote! Choose your favorite images in our annual Photo Contest HERE

The scoop on 'A Nearly Native Nursery '

A Nearly Native Nursery

A Nearly Native Nursery has 279 products listed in PlantScout.

Green Star: Good A Nearly Native Nursery is a Watchdog 30 company. Green Star: Good

776 McBride Rd
Fayetteville, Georgia 30215 (United States)

Phone: 770-460-6284
Fax: 770-460-7050

Visit A Nearly Native Nursery at:

» Like them on Facebook

Company Comment, posted on July 15, 2005:
We are a mail order site and retail nursery that specializes in Rare Native Plants, Trees, Perennials, & Palms. We offer great customer service and an experienced and educated staff that can answer any of your gardening or native plant questions.

We have a lot of hard to find native species that are available in too few numbers to have a permanent listing on our website so if there is something that you are looking for, please feel free to contact us.

Comments:

Displaying the 50 most recent comments:

Positive DrJosephWarren
Bowman, GA
October 16, 2019
I recently visited Nearly Native Nursery and had a wonderful experience. Jim and Debi have six acres devoted to native plants, many of them edible (I am interested in permaculture). It is one of the most unique places I have ever seen and I came back home with a load of very healthy stock to add to my collection. Besides, Jim gave me a leisurely tour of their nursery and I found him to be one of the most proficient naturalists as well as easy going, unassuming, pleasant, and helpful. I wish only that I had had more time to visit. They showed no interest in having me leave but I had a long drive to get back home. This is one of the unsung wonders of Georgia nursery-gardens, and they are doing a commendable job of saving Georgia native plants from development and loss of habitat. I came as a customer and left as a friend. Try it. I am sure it will be a positive experience.
Positive azwchem
Rosharon, TX
October 12, 2019
In 2014 I purchased 11 mail-order native trees from Nearly Native Nursery. Customer service was great and the trees arrived in good condition. I'm posting this review in 2019 so I can show how the trees are doing after 5 years growing in my yard in south Texas - posting links to my website where I have tracked their progress over the years. The Longleaf Pine, Shagbark Hickory, American Holly, Cherrybark Oak, Eastern Red Cedar, Water Tupelo, and Sweetbay Magnolia are all doing great. Below are links to the individual trees.

The American Elm started off OK but now has the habit of losing most of its leaves during summer.
The Sassafras started doing well during its 4th year, but then died in flooded ground.
The American Beech hung on for a few years but finally died, likely because my soil is not well drained.
The Cucumber Magnolia never lived.
Overall I think a very good survival rate! Very pleased.
Positive smithgc51
Tupelo, MS
September 12, 2019
As a landscape architect for a national park I have been purchasing from Nearly Native Nursery for over seven years. They offer a wide selection of native plants and if there is a plant they don’t have then you probably won’t find it anywhere. The plants are of the highest quality and I have always achieved high survival rates. Jim and Debi offer excellent advice and are fun to work with as well. Really looking forward to visiting their site when I pick up my plants in October.
Positive Bshirey
July 14, 2019
Nearly Native is a really unique and interesting establishment. This is a specialty nursery that deals almost entirely in plants that are native to the Southeast. I found plants there which I've been trying to hunt down for quite some time. The owners are incredibly knowledge and very entertaining. I stopped by at a not so busy time of day and got the grand tour as well as lots of valuable information. If you stop by make sure to plan on spending extra time there to stroll around the show gardens and maybe if you're lucky when you leave you'll get a heart felt goodbye from the resident blue and gold maccaw.
Positive congotime
Bethesda, MD
June 2, 2019
Wonderful experience with this nursery. Good prices and the shrub arrived wrapped as carefully as a newborn baby. Great selection of unusual natives.
Positive DLJ1950
Peachtree City, GA
May 8, 2019
Excellent expérience at Nearly Native Nursery today. Jim the owner is extremely knowledgeable of the various native plants available and options or alternatives to help you in most any situation. I highly recommend you take the time to come by the nursery and browse the inventory and maybe surprise yourself with what is available and come away not only with improved knowledge, but a prize find.
Positive congminglaoshi
Tuckahoe, NY
May 3, 2019
It was a pleasure visiting again a couple of weeks ago in spite of some rain. One can see enthusiasm and a real commitment to sharing information about growing native plants, most hard to find and some not available elsewhere. There is also a cool colorful large parrot that gets to hang around outside and gardens that showcase native plants in attractive plantings. If you are looking for something specific it never hurts to ask, Jim and Debbie might have it there even if its not in the sales area. It is a fun place to visit and you wont leave empty handed.
Positive CindyL42
Fayetteville, GA
November 30, 2018
Jim and Debi are very knowledgeable and spent quite a bit of time helping me pick just the right plants to provide some screening in an area of my yard. I will definitely be back to buy more native and butterfly-loving plants for my next landscaping project.
Positive Jmoeller1
Marietta, GA
November 24, 2018
Jim was friendly, knowledgeable, and genuinely interested in my project. He stocks the plants I appreciate and he prices them very reasonably. I want to buy from him again.
Positive Mward5
Euclid, OH
November 21, 2018
A positive experience, I ordered 3 Florida torreya plants and they arrived. It was a little late, but other than that it was a great purchase. Thank you!
Positive ethanjhatchett
Griffin, GA
October 11, 2018
It is always a pleasant experience going to Nearly Native Nursery. I have bought several native plants from them, each time I learn so much and leave excited to begin planting them!

The customer service is top notch. Jim and Debi never get annoyed with questions, are genuinely passionate about what they do, and enjoy sharing their experience with their customers.

Highly recommended.
Positive mgatlin
Griffin, GA
July 9, 2018
My husband and I had a delightful visit to Nearly Native Nursery this past Saturday. Jim was happy to show us all around the garden and shared his vast knowledge. We came for a couple spice bushes and left with some milkweed in addition. We will definitely be back as we transform our landscape to be more pollinator friendly.
Positive Astiles45
Stockbridge, GA
June 29, 2018
My first visit, but will definitely be back! Jim was very knowledgeable and helpful. What a wonderful place. Great selection of plants at very reasonable prices. Thanks Jim!
Positive bellowsk
Falls Church, VA
June 19, 2018
The plants were in perfect shape when they arrived in a carefully packed box. Jim was very helpful in giving me more detailed information about Spigelia Marylandica on the phone. I will definitely purchase from this nursery again!
Positive ecr0001
June 7, 2018
Jim is a wealth of knowledge! He knows native species better than anyone I know - and I know a lot of native plant lovers! I came here for the rare, extinct in the wild, species Franklinia alatamaha and he had several to choose from. He has done so much with his nursery in the12 years he has owned it. You can tell he truly cares and is passionate about his work.
Positive Maranatha1
Huntsville, AL
May 28, 2018
My son, daughter-in-law and I saw Indian Pink at Huntsville Botanical Garden for the first time on Mother's Day and were quite taken by it. I called Nearly Native Nursery on Monday and again on Tuesday (not knowing they were closed on Mondays and Tuesdays) to care for their plants, but received a call back on Wednesday and I was able to place an order. Jim, one of the owners, was very helpful with information about the plant and an order was placed. I received it within 2 days and we were very impressed with the quality of the plants. I hope to order from them again.
Positive dburkenator
Shiloh, GA
May 27, 2018
I cannot express more than all of the other positive reviewers have. I searched for some host plants (milkweed) for a week before finding Nearly Native who had them. But that is an understatement. They had milkweed and sooooo much more. Echoing the compliments of the staff. If you want native plant alternatives to everything we grew up with that was brought over from Europe or Asia or elsewhere, these folks have it. I loved shopping there.
Positive Tmoh8
Saint Simons Island, GA
May 27, 2018
Ordered a Franklinia as a wedding gift for a friend and delighted with the service and specimen. FedEx charge between the nursery and our home in Coastal Georgia cost almost as much as the tree but the 4ft tree was safely delivered, well protected. I will use this nursery again.
Positive ehinman
May 23, 2018
Cool woodlands style nursery offering an abundance of plants and knowledge.
Positive suzesam
Fayetteville, GA
May 20, 2018
Jim and Debi are caring stewards of their land and of the plants that they nurture and sell. Their selection is abundant and the plants are very healthy. They're both very knowledgeable about the native plants that they propagate, and they're very good about helping customers pick out the plants that will work best in their growing conditions. I've had great experiences with them, and recommend them wholeheartedly.
Positive Biodan
Sharpsburg, GA
May 17, 2018
I re-discovered Nearly Natives this spring having been there many moons ago when they were in a different location. Thank goodness I finally went back!! I've been naturalizing my property more and more since I retired and found a refuge for natives! Jim and Debi are extremely knowledgeable, gregarious, and they have just about any species desirable. I've been able to get most all of the plants I've been searching in order to diversify my native forest oasis. They've even introduced me to species I hadn't considered, but have since grown to really appreciate. They're really great on identifying some things I couldn't, too. I HIGHLY recommend their nursery for rare, hard-to-find plants that are not your run-of-the-mill types you see at other nurseries. So, quit getting those exotics and see them for some truly extraordinary selections!
Positive lizsanfordaicp
May 1, 2018
Had a great visit at Nearly Native this past weekend. Wow, they are a candy store of native plants and the owners are so helpful. It was the highlight of my weekend!
Positive sikorski
Avondale Estates, GA
April 23, 2018
Living in Atlanta, there aren't many places to buy native plants. There are probably 6 to 10 native plant sales throughout the metro area each year, but the most desirable plants seem to sell out the minute they open. It gets discouraging after a while.

I first heard about Nearly Native nursery about a year ago, but finally got around to visiting them this past weekend. All I can say is, "wow" -- they have a wide selection of native plants (many of which I had never seen before with my own eyes), and I really appreciated how much time they were willing to spend answering questions & offering advice.

Wish I had made the trip down there sooner. I will certainly be back, or (weather permitting) ordering through the mail.
Positive katahdinss
Silver Spring, MD
April 13, 2018
Very good experience with this company - lots of good interactions and support. The ordered plant, Franklinia, arrived in excellent condition and healthy. Already sending out new leaves. Very pleased.
Positive Coov07
Marietta, GA
April 11, 2018
I visited A Nearly Native Nursery for the first time this morning. My wife and I have learned over the past several years that plants native to the area thrive in our gardens. Big box store and commercial nursery plants need addition water, attention, etc. I contacted Debi from A Nearly Native last week concerning the elusive Sparkle Berry and Service Berry bushes. She had several beautiful specimens selected, much nicer than I expected. Jim spent a considerable amount of time helping and teaching me about other plants on my list. These wonderful and knowledgeable people are the owners and caretakers of a slice of heaven they’ve created to share with those fortunate enough to visit. A Nearly Native is truly a destination garden and should be appreciated by meandering through the wonderful paths while taking the time to see and value the countless native gifts. The plants are very healthy and a great value, so if distance is a challenge, I believe they ship. Brian was also a great help with plant selection and loading. I can’t wait to return with my wife!
Positive Skylarker
April 8, 2018
Nearly Native Nursery and their owners are a wonderful resource for gardeners interested in native plant gardening. They have a great selection of native plants - ground covers to trees.They had in stock a 4 foot Ben Franklin tree which they tagged for me and I picked up weeks later. Debi kept in contact with me and provided planting advice . My Ben Franklin tree is leafing out!
Positive paul_camire
Capac, MI
April 7, 2018
Great customer service/excellent packaging/plants as described. I gave the company my approximate ship date and they emailed me to let me know that they could ship my order a week earlier if I preferred. I've talked with Jim on the phone and email contact with Debi. It's nice to deal with a company that the owners are very pleasant and professional and actually pulling/packing your order! You don't find that everyday! I highly recommend this nursery and will buy from them again. Beautiful plants!
Positive rhuston
Athens, GA
April 5, 2018
Posted on March 30, 2018, updated April 5, 2018
They had the plant I wanted, Georgia Aster (Symphyotrichum georgianum), and shipped it to me very quickly. I enjoyed speaking with Debbie to resolve a small billing issue. I certainly plan on working with them in the future as I build my native plant garden.
On April 5th, 2018, rhuston added the following:

Visited the nursery in Fayetteville, GA yesterday and had a great time meeting Jim and Debi. They are very friendly and knowledgeable about native plants and the grounds of the nursery beautiful. Their garden has some wonderful examples of how to use native plants in the landscape.
Neutral onilollaig
April 4, 2018
Posted on April 4, 2018, updated April 4, 2018
Last fall, I decided to order a tree from NNN, but I wanted a specific size. The male owner told me that they didn\'t have that size in stock, but would a few weeks later. He also told me that there would be NO special shipping charge for that size.

About a month later, the female owner (his wife, I think) told me that they were out of that size for the REST of the season, and that if I ever decided to order it, there WOULD be a special shipping charge.

So, I wasted a whole month waiting on these people when I could\'ve just ordered the tree from another nursery. And then they never apologized for not being able to get their story straight and leading me on.

If you ever order from NNN, do so with caution. I would order from them again only if I couldn\'t find a particular item anywhere else.
On April 4th, 2018, onilollaig added the following:

Oh, I meant to add that the male owner took down all my credit-card information when I first placed the order. They didn't charge my card, but if I didn't catch their incompetence later and cancel my order, they certainly would have.
Positive highlander739
Clifton, TX
March 27, 2018
So glad to find someone with the tree I was looking for(Chalk Bark Maple). It is a Texas native but no one locally had it. Easy transaction, securely packed. Planted about 3 weeks ago and the leaves have started opening on the buds already. These folks really seem to enjoy what they are doing and go out of their way to add the personal touch even though I am 1300 miles away.
Positive Altamaha
March 20, 2018
I recently purchased from Nearly Native Nursery the Franklinia Altamaha, a rare and hard-to-find flowering tree that is native to Georgia. Owner Jim Rogers is conservationist when it comes to native plants and a highly knowledgeable expert who freely shared his knowledge with me. His nursery is splendid and the place to find uncommon plants that will make a garden special.
Positive BenKramlich
Talking Rock, GA
January 30, 2018
I had a wonderful experience visiting Nearly Native Nursery and purchased various trees, shrubs, and grasses. The owners, Jim and Debbie, were personable and friendly and being that I arrived in their off season, two days before they close for a brief period to reopen in the spring I was the only customer and got to tour the whole nursery and gardens with them. They were extremely generous with their time and very knowledgeable. I have not planted my plants yet, but they all look in great condition. Thank you Nearly Native Nursery!
Positive lisbet
December 17, 2017
I decided to plant some spicebushes (Lindera benzoin) in my backyard to attract wood thrushes, and Nearly Native had just what I was looking for. I bought 2 female and 4 male plants (since they're dioecious) and they have very healthy, well-developed roots. I planted them right away, and now I'm waiting for spring to see if I put them in a good location.

Nearly Native staff was very helpful and enthusiastic.
Positive Bokros
Macon, GA
November 27, 2017
Having very few native plant options at nurseries in Macon, I need to take day trips to purchase native species for my yard. I decided to stop by Nearly Native on my way to the Atlanta Airport one day, and I was delighted that I did. Staff was friendly, knowledgeable, and made every effort to find me the plants I was interested in. They have many, many plants that I have not been able to find at my local nurseries, so I was in heaven. I will definitely be going back, and recommend them to all my friends who love gardening and who appreciate native species.
Positive Megpie
Cedartown, GA
November 6, 2017
The root divisions for the Giant Iris I ordered were generous and delivered promptly. Packaged with just the right amount of moisture and arrived alive! I look forward to browsing the soon-to-be updated website and ordering more plants.
Positive Pteroceltis
Elbridge, NY
October 22, 2017
I recently received an order from this nursery and I'm quite happy with the experience. I had been searching for a couple of rare native plants for some time, and I'd seen them occasionally listed for sale at NNN. I called them to inquire, and they were very friendly and knowledgeable. They were very happy to share a great deal of information on their plants, and we had a nice chat about the provenance of their seedlings. Definitely seems like a company that does things the right way and puts a lot of effort into growing really nice, high quality plants that you won't see offered for sale very often. The plants themselves were larger than I expected and had great root systems.

Often with mail order you have to temper your expectations and realize that the trade-offs with getting something very rare and unique include getting a smaller plant that has to survive the shipping process. Not so with the plants I received from Nearly Native Nursery; the plants were larger than advertised and the packing was excellent. Will definitely order again!
Positive pizzadude
Powder Springs, GA
September 1, 2017
A great experience and well worth the 120 mile round trip.Jim and Debbie were very knowledgeable and helpful.They have a tremendous variety of natives and everything I was looking for.A great experience.
Positive kingkar1
August 8, 2017
Wonderful experience! Debi responded quickly to my inquiry. She found me the exact plant that I needed...I had doubted anyone could find it for me...and she did it so quickly! Great price, shipped right on time. I wish I had time to come see the nursery in person, but the phone order experience was terrific! Thanks y'all!
Positive Palmcrazy
Flowery Branch, GA
July 28, 2017
My wife and I recently came down from Hall county to visit Nearly Native and the nursery was truly amazing. Jim and Debi are both very friendly and helpful. Jim took us around the garden and explained information about the plants they have in detail. We also got to meet their bird, Butters. The plant selection is very diverse and unique, and full of great native plants as opposed to the Chinese or Japanese plants that one finds in most conventional garden centers. The idea to promote native plants is a great thing. I think many people should incorporate more native plants into their landscaping. We definitely are planning to return. Keep up the great work NNN!
Positive hans3641
Buford, GA
July 5, 2017
Entering this nursery was like entering a fairy wonderland. This was the coolest nursery ever. We were looking for a Buckeye tree that would grow in Georgia and my brother found the Painted Buckeye. This was the only place we could find one. Not only did they have them, but Jim, one of the owners, was able to tell me about it and has been selectively breading them from seed for unusual colors. They also had other types of Buckeyes that will grow in Georgia that we did not know about, and I can't wait to go back when I have more time to explore.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Tour | Contact Us ]