The County Fair is now open. Add your entries Here

The scoop on 'A Nearly Native Nursery '

A Nearly Native Nursery

A Nearly Native Nursery has 279 products listed in PlantScout.

Green Star: Good A Nearly Native Nursery is a Watchdog 30 company. Green Star: Good

776 McBride Rd
Fayetteville, Georgia 30215 (United States)

Phone: 770-460-6284
Fax: 770-460-7050

Visit A Nearly Native Nursery at:

» Like them on Facebook

Company Comment, posted on July 15, 2005:
We are a mail order site and retail nursery that specializes in Rare Native Plants, Trees, Perennials, & Palms. We offer great customer service and an experienced and educated staff that can answer any of your gardening or native plant questions.

We have a lot of hard to find native species that are available in too few numbers to have a permanent listing on our website so if there is something that you are looking for, please feel free to contact us.

Comments:

Displaying the 50 most recent comments:

Positive mgatlin
Griffin, GA
July 9, 2018
My husband and I had a delightful visit to Nearly Native Nursery this past Saturday. Jim was happy to show us all around the garden and shared his vast knowledge. We came for a couple spice bushes and left with some milkweed in addition. We will definitely be back as we transform our landscape to be more pollinator friendly.
Positive Astiles45
Stockbridge, GA
June 29, 2018
My first visit, but will definitely be back! Jim was very knowledgeable and helpful. What a wonderful place. Great selection of plants at very reasonable prices. Thanks Jim!
Positive bellowsk
Falls Church, VA
June 19, 2018
The plants were in perfect shape when they arrived in a carefully packed box. Jim was very helpful in giving me more detailed information about Spigelia Marylandica on the phone. I will definitely purchase from this nursery again!
Positive ecr0001
June 7, 2018
Jim is a wealth of knowledge! He knows native species better than anyone I know - and I know a lot of native plant lovers! I came here for the rare, extinct in the wild, species Franklinia alatamaha and he had several to choose from. He has done so much with his nursery in the12 years he has owned it. You can tell he truly cares and is passionate about his work.
Positive Maranatha1
Huntsville, AL
May 28, 2018
My son, daughter-in-law and I saw Indian Pink at Huntsville Botanical Garden for the first time on Mother's Day and were quite taken by it. I called Nearly Native Nursery on Monday and again on Tuesday (not knowing they were closed on Mondays and Tuesdays) to care for their plants, but received a call back on Wednesday and I was able to place an order. Jim, one of the owners, was very helpful with information about the plant and an order was placed. I received it within 2 days and we were very impressed with the quality of the plants. I hope to order from them again.
Positive dburkenator
Shiloh, GA
May 27, 2018
I cannot express more than all of the other positive reviewers have. I searched for some host plants (milkweed) for a week before finding Nearly Native who had them. But that is an understatement. They had milkweed and sooooo much more. Echoing the compliments of the staff. If you want native plant alternatives to everything we grew up with that was brought over from Europe or Asia or elsewhere, these folks have it. I loved shopping there.
Positive Tmoh8
Saint Simons Island, GA
May 27, 2018
Ordered a Franklinia as a wedding gift for a friend and delighted with the service and specimen. FedEx charge between the nursery and our home in Coastal Georgia cost almost as much as the tree but the 4ft tree was safely delivered, well protected. I will use this nursery again.
Positive ehinman
May 23, 2018
Cool woodlands style nursery offering an abundance of plants and knowledge.
Positive suzesam
Fayetteville, GA
May 20, 2018
Jim and Debi are caring stewards of their land and of the plants that they nurture and sell. Their selection is abundant and the plants are very healthy. They're both very knowledgeable about the native plants that they propagate, and they're very good about helping customers pick out the plants that will work best in their growing conditions. I've had great experiences with them, and recommend them wholeheartedly.
Positive Biodan
Sharpsburg, GA
May 17, 2018
I re-discovered Nearly Natives this spring having been there many moons ago when they were in a different location. Thank goodness I finally went back!! I've been naturalizing my property more and more since I retired and found a refuge for natives! Jim and Debi are extremely knowledgeable, gregarious, and they have just about any species desirable. I've been able to get most all of the plants I've been searching in order to diversify my native forest oasis. They've even introduced me to species I hadn't considered, but have since grown to really appreciate. They're really great on identifying some things I couldn't, too. I HIGHLY recommend their nursery for rare, hard-to-find plants that are not your run-of-the-mill types you see at other nurseries. So, quit getting those exotics and see them for some truly extraordinary selections!
Positive lizsanfordaicp
May 1, 2018
Had a great visit at Nearly Native this past weekend. Wow, they are a candy store of native plants and the owners are so helpful. It was the highlight of my weekend!
Positive sikorski
Avondale Estates, GA
April 23, 2018
Living in Atlanta, there aren't many places to buy native plants. There are probably 6 to 10 native plant sales throughout the metro area each year, but the most desirable plants seem to sell out the minute they open. It gets discouraging after a while.

I first heard about Nearly Native nursery about a year ago, but finally got around to visiting them this past weekend. All I can say is, "wow" -- they have a wide selection of native plants (many of which I had never seen before with my own eyes), and I really appreciated how much time they were willing to spend answering questions & offering advice.

Wish I had made the trip down there sooner. I will certainly be back, or (weather permitting) ordering through the mail.
Positive katahdinss
Silver Spring, MD
April 13, 2018
Very good experience with this company - lots of good interactions and support. The ordered plant, Franklinia, arrived in excellent condition and healthy. Already sending out new leaves. Very pleased.
Positive Coov07
Marietta, GA
April 11, 2018
I visited A Nearly Native Nursery for the first time this morning. My wife and I have learned over the past several years that plants native to the area thrive in our gardens. Big box store and commercial nursery plants need addition water, attention, etc. I contacted Debi from A Nearly Native last week concerning the elusive Sparkle Berry and Service Berry bushes. She had several beautiful specimens selected, much nicer than I expected. Jim spent a considerable amount of time helping and teaching me about other plants on my list. These wonderful and knowledgeable people are the owners and caretakers of a slice of heaven they’ve created to share with those fortunate enough to visit. A Nearly Native is truly a destination garden and should be appreciated by meandering through the wonderful paths while taking the time to see and value the countless native gifts. The plants are very healthy and a great value, so if distance is a challenge, I believe they ship. Brian was also a great help with plant selection and loading. I can’t wait to return with my wife!
Positive Skylarker
April 8, 2018
Nearly Native Nursery and their owners are a wonderful resource for gardeners interested in native plant gardening. They have a great selection of native plants - ground covers to trees.They had in stock a 4 foot Ben Franklin tree which they tagged for me and I picked up weeks later. Debi kept in contact with me and provided planting advice . My Ben Franklin tree is leafing out!
Positive paul_camire
Capac, MI
April 7, 2018
Great customer service/excellent packaging/plants as described. I gave the company my approximate ship date and they emailed me to let me know that they could ship my order a week earlier if I preferred. I've talked with Jim on the phone and email contact with Debi. It's nice to deal with a company that the owners are very pleasant and professional and actually pulling/packing your order! You don't find that everyday! I highly recommend this nursery and will buy from them again. Beautiful plants!
Positive rhuston
Athens, GA
April 5, 2018
Posted on March 30, 2018, updated April 5, 2018
They had the plant I wanted, Georgia Aster (Symphyotrichum georgianum), and shipped it to me very quickly. I enjoyed speaking with Debbie to resolve a small billing issue. I certainly plan on working with them in the future as I build my native plant garden.
On April 5th, 2018, rhuston added the following:

Visited the nursery in Fayetteville, GA yesterday and had a great time meeting Jim and Debi. They are very friendly and knowledgeable about native plants and the grounds of the nursery beautiful. Their garden has some wonderful examples of how to use native plants in the landscape.
Neutral onilollaig
April 4, 2018
Posted on April 4, 2018, updated April 4, 2018
Last fall, I decided to order a tree from NNN, but I wanted a specific size. The male owner told me that they didn\'t have that size in stock, but would a few weeks later. He also told me that there would be NO special shipping charge for that size.

About a month later, the female owner (his wife, I think) told me that they were out of that size for the REST of the season, and that if I ever decided to order it, there WOULD be a special shipping charge.

So, I wasted a whole month waiting on these people when I could\'ve just ordered the tree from another nursery. And then they never apologized for not being able to get their story straight and leading me on.

If you ever order from NNN, do so with caution. I would order from them again only if I couldn\'t find a particular item anywhere else.
On April 4th, 2018, onilollaig added the following:

Oh, I meant to add that the male owner took down all my credit-card information when I first placed the order. They didn't charge my card, but if I didn't catch their incompetence later and cancel my order, they certainly would have.
Positive highlander739
Clifton, TX
March 27, 2018
So glad to find someone with the tree I was looking for(Chalk Bark Maple). It is a Texas native but no one locally had it. Easy transaction, securely packed. Planted about 3 weeks ago and the leaves have started opening on the buds already. These folks really seem to enjoy what they are doing and go out of their way to add the personal touch even though I am 1300 miles away.
Positive Altamaha
March 20, 2018
I recently purchased from Nearly Native Nursery the Franklinia Altamaha, a rare and hard-to-find flowering tree that is native to Georgia. Owner Jim Rogers is conservationist when it comes to native plants and a highly knowledgeable expert who freely shared his knowledge with me. His nursery is splendid and the place to find uncommon plants that will make a garden special.
Positive BenKramlich
Talking Rock, GA
January 30, 2018
I had a wonderful experience visiting Nearly Native Nursery and purchased various trees, shrubs, and grasses. The owners, Jim and Debbie, were personable and friendly and being that I arrived in their off season, two days before they close for a brief period to reopen in the spring I was the only customer and got to tour the whole nursery and gardens with them. They were extremely generous with their time and very knowledgeable. I have not planted my plants yet, but they all look in great condition. Thank you Nearly Native Nursery!
Positive lisbet
December 17, 2017
I decided to plant some spicebushes (Lindera benzoin) in my backyard to attract wood thrushes, and Nearly Native had just what I was looking for. I bought 2 female and 4 male plants (since they're dioecious) and they have very healthy, well-developed roots. I planted them right away, and now I'm waiting for spring to see if I put them in a good location.

Nearly Native staff was very helpful and enthusiastic.
Positive Bokros
Macon, GA
November 27, 2017
Having very few native plant options at nurseries in Macon, I need to take day trips to purchase native species for my yard. I decided to stop by Nearly Native on my way to the Atlanta Airport one day, and I was delighted that I did. Staff was friendly, knowledgeable, and made every effort to find me the plants I was interested in. They have many, many plants that I have not been able to find at my local nurseries, so I was in heaven. I will definitely be going back, and recommend them to all my friends who love gardening and who appreciate native species.
Positive Megpie
Cedartown, GA
November 6, 2017
The root divisions for the Giant Iris I ordered were generous and delivered promptly. Packaged with just the right amount of moisture and arrived alive! I look forward to browsing the soon-to-be updated website and ordering more plants.
Positive Pteroceltis
Elbridge, NY
October 22, 2017
I recently received an order from this nursery and I'm quite happy with the experience. I had been searching for a couple of rare native plants for some time, and I'd seen them occasionally listed for sale at NNN. I called them to inquire, and they were very friendly and knowledgeable. They were very happy to share a great deal of information on their plants, and we had a nice chat about the provenance of their seedlings. Definitely seems like a company that does things the right way and puts a lot of effort into growing really nice, high quality plants that you won't see offered for sale very often. The plants themselves were larger than I expected and had great root systems.

Often with mail order you have to temper your expectations and realize that the trade-offs with getting something very rare and unique include getting a smaller plant that has to survive the shipping process. Not so with the plants I received from Nearly Native Nursery; the plants were larger than advertised and the packing was excellent. Will definitely order again!
Positive pizzadude
Powder Springs, GA
September 1, 2017
A great experience and well worth the 120 mile round trip.Jim and Debbie were very knowledgeable and helpful.They have a tremendous variety of natives and everything I was looking for.A great experience.
Positive kingkar1
August 8, 2017
Wonderful experience! Debi responded quickly to my inquiry. She found me the exact plant that I needed...I had doubted anyone could find it for me...and she did it so quickly! Great price, shipped right on time. I wish I had time to come see the nursery in person, but the phone order experience was terrific! Thanks y'all!
Positive Palmcrazy
Flowery Branch, GA
July 28, 2017
My wife and I recently came down from Hall county to visit Nearly Native and the nursery was truly amazing. Jim and Debi are both very friendly and helpful. Jim took us around the garden and explained information about the plants they have in detail. We also got to meet their bird, Butters. The plant selection is very diverse and unique, and full of great native plants as opposed to the Chinese or Japanese plants that one finds in most conventional garden centers. The idea to promote native plants is a great thing. I think many people should incorporate more native plants into their landscaping. We definitely are planning to return. Keep up the great work NNN!
Positive hans3641
Buford, GA
July 5, 2017
Entering this nursery was like entering a fairy wonderland. This was the coolest nursery ever. We were looking for a Buckeye tree that would grow in Georgia and my brother found the Painted Buckeye. This was the only place we could find one. Not only did they have them, but Jim, one of the owners, was able to tell me about it and has been selectively breading them from seed for unusual colors. They also had other types of Buckeyes that will grow in Georgia that we did not know about, and I can't wait to go back when I have more time to explore.
Positive PabloVerde
Canton, GA
June 26, 2017
I just visited this nursery and what a pleasant surprise! I wasn't expecting to see such a wide variety of interesting plants that you just don't see in other nurseries. What a treat! And Jim was a huge help with plant selections for my woodland garden. Extremely knowledgeable and patient. Nice healthy plants. Reasonable prices. While I'm not ready to limit my plant selection to only natives, this nursery provides options I didn't know existed. Overall a great shopping experience!
Positive duggiehoo
McDonough, GA (Zone 7b)
June 15, 2017
I love the attack macaw in addition to the wonderful stuff and folks.
Positive CoachLynn
Palmetto, GA
June 11, 2017
We're converting our garden to native plants after being inspired by outdoor classrooms at the Chattahoochee Hills Charter School. Jim showed sincere interest in what we were doing and educated us every step of the way. He helped us select a great beginning of plants. We will go back.
Positive redcarbeth
Newnan, GA
May 26, 2017
Visited for the first time the other day! What a beautiful garden and a wonderful experience! Jim is very knowledgeable and spent a lot of time answering questions and assisting me! Will return again soon!
Positive BobnLiana
Smyrna, GA
May 14, 2017
Nearly Native is the place to go for native GA plants, shrubs and trees. With expert help and tips, Brian set us on course for transforming our property to a natural habitat for wildlife. If you want to attract wildlife and pollinators to your garden or property, get your plants, shrubs and trees here. They're not grown with neonics! I'm excited to have gone away with a lovely long leaf pine specimen. These trees were decimated in Southeast with only 3% surviving!

The grounds here are amazing. This place is magical. The owners Debbie and Jim are gracious and generous. I fell in love with this oasis away from the city and I'll be back in a couple months to see the monarchs! Please visit this place. It's truly special....
Positive rmosborn
Fayetteville, GA
April 30, 2017
Inspired by the Smoky Mountains, I want to transform our backyard woods into a wildflower paradise. Hit the jackpot at Nearly Native, which is just a few miles from home. Brought home several, and will make more trips to see what is blooming and when. Also, not all of them are transplantable now, and Jim wisely advised me to wait until fall when they go dormant. This is going to be fun, thank you!!!
Positive kenandjill
Lawrenceville, GA
April 21, 2017
Posted on April 20, 2017, updated April 21, 2017
We had a great visit today at Nearly Native Nursery... We live in Lawrenceville, so it\'s not exactly next door, but it is definitely worth the drive just to speak with the nice people there... And the plant varieties there are great...

Today they helped us find some spotted Joe Pye weed, Arkansas blue star Amsonia and Iris Cristata \'Powder Blue Giant\'...

We look forward to returning and highly recommend...
On April 21st, 2017, kenandjill added the following:

We definitely recommend Nearly Native but please be aware that their hours are a little different... Right now they are open from Wednesday thru Saturday 9am -6pm... Check the website before your visit...
Positive scibi
Charlotte, NC
April 20, 2017
Discovering Nearly Native Nursery has turned out to be a delightful gift of this gardening season. I spoke with both Debi and Jim on the telephone and each of them is like a happy encyclopedia of plant information eager to share its contents.

I received my order very promptly. The plants were packaged in a most original manner which involved taping the plant containers to the inside of the heavy cardboard shipping box. It took me a while to unpack the plants, but the system works because every single plant arrived in beautiful condition with not a leaf out of place!

I recommend Nearly Native Nursery to anyone who wants to go native!
Positive Grinner
Peachtree City, GA
April 20, 2017
I enjoyed meeting Jim and Debi and loved wandering and learning about their plants. I'll be bringing my boys back with me next trip.
Negative TDogg77
Belle Vernon, PA
April 17, 2017
I called about ordering some plants from them and spoke to Jim who is one of the owners. He wasn't sure if he could get me what I wanted but promised to email or call me back. After a couple of weeks they didn't call me or email so I called again and spoke with someone else. She thought they may be able to help me but would email me later that day as to what inventory they had on my plants of interest. This is 3 days later and still no word from them. In short I give up on these guys. I guess they don't need my business. Very bad customer service on their part!
Positive devviepuu
Woodstock, NY
April 17, 2017
do not have enough words of praise for the easy and personal assistance i received from jim and debi at nearly native nursery. within a few hours of my phoning them to inquire about plant availability, it was boxed up and on a fedex truck, and that was including some confusion on where the best place to send the box to was over a holiday weekend. plants arrived in perfect condition and were well-packed.

jim and debi were friendly, kind, ready to offer advice and thoughts about the plants, and happy to give me a rundown of some other great stuff not currently listed on their website. even as a non-local shopper, cannot recommend enough.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Tour | Contact Us ]