Announcements
Journal download links are now available for users who requested their journal data. To find the link, click on "My Info" at the top.

This data will be removed from our database March, 1 2021. Please download your data immediately.

The scoop on 'A Nearly Native Nursery '

A Nearly Native Nursery

A Nearly Native Nursery has 279 products listed in PlantScout.

Green Star: Good A Nearly Native Nursery is a Watchdog 30 company. Green Star: Good

776 McBride Rd
Fayetteville, Georgia 30215 (United States)

Phone: 770-460-6284
Fax: 770-460-7050

Visit A Nearly Native Nursery at:

» Like them on Facebook

Company Comment, posted on July 15, 2005:
We are a mail order site and retail nursery that specializes in Rare Native Plants, Trees, Perennials, & Palms. We offer great customer service and an experienced and educated staff that can answer any of your gardening or native plant questions.

We have a lot of hard to find native species that are available in too few numbers to have a permanent listing on our website so if there is something that you are looking for, please feel free to contact us.

Comments:

Displaying the 50 most recent comments:

Positive ronbug4444
Sumter, SC
December 31, 2020
Posted on December 19, 2016, updated December 31, 2020
This nursery was wonderful to do business with. The email correspondence was great. I will definitely purchase again, because there are a lot of unique plants. I was not able to find the plant that I purchased (Neviusia alabamensis 'Alabama snow wreath') anywhere else.
On December 31st, 2020, ronbug4444 added the following:

Update 12/23/20
This was my second purchase.They are very easy to deal with. They told me through email that they had a plant that I wanted ready to go, even though the website said otherwise. Please email them, because you never know what you may find!
Positive vijaya06
December 19, 2020
For the last couple of years I have visited Nearly Native nursery and bought native plants from them. I visited the nursery first time late spring last year, and was blown away by the beauty of the blooms and the spontaneity and variety of plants. Jim was very generous with his time, walking me through the nursery and introducing me, a novice, to native Georgia plants and their special characteristics. Jim and Debbie literally dig the plant out of the ground, pot it in front of you and give it to you. They are knowledgeable and they care deeply about native plants and the life forms that depend on such plants. I am very glad to have found this place.
Positive robjohn60
Millbrook, AL
December 16, 2020
Absolutely wonderful place and owners. They freely gave advice and suggestions. Very knowledgeable and kind. The largest selection of natives I've seen yet. I drove 2.5 hours from Alabama and it was well worth the time. Wish I had drove a bigger vehicle so I could buy more...who doesnt want more plants?
Positive sophie1950
South Greenfield, MO (Zone 6a)
December 6, 2020
The proprietors were very generous with their time and knowledge, and helped me decide whether bottlebrush buckeye might be a good addition to our landscape (as we are out of its endemic area). They were frank that the plants they had were small, two year old plants. The price was right for me to purchase 3, and they sent a spare also. The plants received were well rooted, extremely well packed (to the point of being a bit tricky to remove) and they all appeared healthy. The proprietors had advised that we wait until the plants were dormant for shipping, even though later than expected due to a long late fall. I strongly recommend Nearly Native Nursery, especially if you crave the one-on-one conversations with the growers of the plants, verses a 'big box' experience.
Positive UGAnatureGirl
December 5, 2020
Great selection of natives at this mom-and-pop nursery! Staff were friendly and helpful, and I went home with some amazing trees, shrubs and perennials. Will be back!
Positive sdurham
Alpharetta, GA
November 29, 2020
We recently visited Nearly Native Nursery just to gather information - hoping for some guidance and advice regarding a screen we needed to plant between us and neighbors. Jim was an outstanding host. He was very generous with his time and his knowledge, and his enthusiasm for plants is infectious. As he gave us a tour of his gardens, Jim explained the intricacies of many plants, giving us lots of options for our screen. The knowledge he imparted and the extensive selection of plants that we saw gave us confidence and enthusiasm for successful screen and also renewed our commitment to native plants. I look forward to making a future trip to Nearly Native to purchase many of the plants that we saw.
Positive pacarroll
Seminole, FL
October 26, 2020
Debbie was extremely knowledgeable and helpful when talking with her about the Southern Sugar Maple trees. They were shipped to me in Florida and arrived very healthy. Shipping was fast. Very impressed on how the trees were packaged. Highly recommend!
Positive sunrise123
October 24, 2020
Debbie and Jim set aside their busy activities to walk a novice through their extensive and fabulously healthy plant material to help with selections for specific yard locations and needs. They are a walking handbook of everything 'native plant ' and I learned a tremendous amount in the most beautiful setting. Their honesty with what I did and didn't need impressed me tremendously. In my mind there is nowhere else but here for your native plant needs, and Georgia has a lot of native plant needs, so let's do this!
Positive Rockethorse
Hampton, GA
September 10, 2020
A very friendly and knowledgeable business. Jim answered all my questions and provided the help I needed. I will definitely be going back.
Positive gandrle
September 4, 2020
Exremely fun place with a great array of native plants. Jim and Deb helped us pick out plants and even dug some up for us. They had great recommendations and knowledge about the plants. I can't wait to visit again!
Positive Frak
Pittsburgh,
United States
May 28, 2020
They have a fine selection of plants, the prices are fair and the customer service was friendly and prompt...The plants were packaged with care and arrived healthy. Their nursery is the real deal when it comes to native plants and I am happy I did business with them : )
Positive Bushep
May 4, 2020
My first visit to Nearly Native Nursery, was a very positive experience. Everyone i interacted with was very helpful and knowledgeable. A pleasure to get to see so many native plants that should do really well in my Atlanta Garden.
Positive hullbert
Colbert, GA
April 24, 2020
Debi and Jim are both incredibly knowledgeable and helpful! I had a wonderful visit to the nursery where they not only showed me around, but also helped me to make plant selections and patiently answered my many questions. I highly recommend ordering from Nearly Native Nursery, and definitely recommend making a visit to their beautiful native plant oasis if possible.
Positive msteal
Mableton, GA
April 23, 2020
Some of the most knowledgeable folks I've found for native plants, what a great find! If you get a chance to visit it's well worth your time. They don't just have the main varieties of common plants, they have many different species and subspecies. I could have stayed a week.
Positive merrybrodie
January 20, 2020
I've been watching their website for Rainlily bulbs (zephyranthes candida) for a while. Got them! Very hard to find. Other online companies try to ship from China and you just lose your money. I went in person and found the nursery especially relaxing and entertaining. Not only got the bulbs but two other items for my Pollinator Garden. Lyre-leaf sage and Spiderwort. Again, hard to source items. So glad I found aNNN. I'll try the online order next, but the personal visit shows just how much the owners care about their plants and their customers.
Positive ugachuck
Bishop, GA
December 7, 2019
a little slice of heaven. i spent several enjoyable hours walking around and asking the owner questions. i learned a lot and changed what i had chosen to plant in a couple of locations. i am excited to see the plants ( i purchased) in full bloom. i already have several plants i will purchase when i go back. i really like seeing the plants in their habitat. well worth the drive through Atlanta.
Positive Runneratdawn
November 22, 2019
I purchased an American Beauty Berry from Nearly Native Nursery today. Jim was very helpful and kind. The nursery is beautiful, and they offer a large assortment of plants.
Positive mjrice
October 27, 2019
Posted on April 11, 2009, updated October 27, 2019
I recently discovered Nearly Native and got a tour from owner Jim Rogers despite a spring downpour. He showed me a great selection of plants native to Georgia and the Southeast at reasonable prices.
On October 27th, 2019, mjrice added the following:

A disaster recently hit my landscape, so it was time to head back to Nearly Native for some replacement plants. Luckily, the plant selection and the knowledge and kindness of Jim and his wife, Debi, are still the same. Southeastern native plants can be difficult to find, so it's great to know Nearly Native is still growing strong.
Positive Emartin17
October 24, 2019
This was my first visit to A Nearly Native Nursery and I was blown away!! Such an abundant and well cared for nursery and the owners (Jim and Debi) were great and a wealth of knowledge. I will absolutely be back.
Positive DrJosephWarren
Bowman, GA
October 16, 2019
I recently visited Nearly Native Nursery and had a wonderful experience. Jim and Debi have six acres devoted to native plants, many of them edible (I am interested in permaculture). It is one of the most unique places I have ever seen and I came back home with a load of very healthy stock to add to my collection. Besides, Jim gave me a leisurely tour of their nursery and I found him to be one of the most proficient naturalists as well as easy going, unassuming, pleasant, and helpful. I wish only that I had had more time to visit. They showed no interest in having me leave but I had a long drive to get back home. This is one of the unsung wonders of Georgia nursery-gardens, and they are doing a commendable job of saving Georgia native plants from development and loss of habitat. I came as a customer and left as a friend. Try it. I am sure it will be a positive experience.
Positive azwchem
Rosharon, TX
October 12, 2019
In 2014 I purchased 11 mail-order native trees from Nearly Native Nursery. Customer service was great and the trees arrived in good condition. I'm posting this review in 2019 so I can show how the trees are doing after 5 years growing in my yard in south Texas - posting links to my website where I have tracked their progress over the years. The Longleaf Pine, Shagbark Hickory, American Holly, Cherrybark Oak, Eastern Red Cedar, Water Tupelo, and Sweetbay Magnolia are all doing great. Below are links to the individual trees.

The American Elm started off OK but now has the habit of losing most of its leaves during summer.
The Sassafras started doing well during its 4th year, but then died in flooded ground.
The American Beech hung on for a few years but finally died, likely because my soil is not well drained.
The Cucumber Magnolia never lived.
Overall I think a very good survival rate! Very pleased.
Positive smithgc51
Tupelo, MS
September 12, 2019
As a landscape architect for a national park I have been purchasing from Nearly Native Nursery for over seven years. They offer a wide selection of native plants and if there is a plant they don’t have then you probably won’t find it anywhere. The plants are of the highest quality and I have always achieved high survival rates. Jim and Debi offer excellent advice and are fun to work with as well. Really looking forward to visiting their site when I pick up my plants in October.
Positive Bshirey
July 14, 2019
Nearly Native is a really unique and interesting establishment. This is a specialty nursery that deals almost entirely in plants that are native to the Southeast. I found plants there which I've been trying to hunt down for quite some time. The owners are incredibly knowledge and very entertaining. I stopped by at a not so busy time of day and got the grand tour as well as lots of valuable information. If you stop by make sure to plan on spending extra time there to stroll around the show gardens and maybe if you're lucky when you leave you'll get a heart felt goodbye from the resident blue and gold maccaw.
Positive congotime
Bethesda, MD
June 2, 2019
Wonderful experience with this nursery. Good prices and the shrub arrived wrapped as carefully as a newborn baby. Great selection of unusual natives.
Positive DLJ1950
Peachtree City, GA
May 8, 2019
Excellent expérience at Nearly Native Nursery today. Jim the owner is extremely knowledgeable of the various native plants available and options or alternatives to help you in most any situation. I highly recommend you take the time to come by the nursery and browse the inventory and maybe surprise yourself with what is available and come away not only with improved knowledge, but a prize find.
Positive congminglaoshi
Tuckahoe, NY
May 3, 2019
It was a pleasure visiting again a couple of weeks ago in spite of some rain. One can see enthusiasm and a real commitment to sharing information about growing native plants, most hard to find and some not available elsewhere. There is also a cool colorful large parrot that gets to hang around outside and gardens that showcase native plants in attractive plantings. If you are looking for something specific it never hurts to ask, Jim and Debbie might have it there even if its not in the sales area. It is a fun place to visit and you wont leave empty handed.
Positive CindyL42
November 30, 2018
Jim and Debi are very knowledgeable and spent quite a bit of time helping me pick just the right plants to provide some screening in an area of my yard. I will definitely be back to buy more native and butterfly-loving plants for my next landscaping project.
Positive Jmoeller1
Marietta, GA
November 24, 2018
Jim was friendly, knowledgeable, and genuinely interested in my project. He stocks the plants I appreciate and he prices them very reasonably. I want to buy from him again.
Positive Mward5
Euclid, OH
November 21, 2018
A positive experience, I ordered 3 Florida torreya plants and they arrived. It was a little late, but other than that it was a great purchase. Thank you!
Positive ethanjhatchett
October 11, 2018
It is always a pleasant experience going to Nearly Native Nursery. I have bought several native plants from them, each time I learn so much and leave excited to begin planting them!

The customer service is top notch. Jim and Debi never get annoyed with questions, are genuinely passionate about what they do, and enjoy sharing their experience with their customers.

Highly recommended.
Positive mgatlin
July 9, 2018
My husband and I had a delightful visit to Nearly Native Nursery this past Saturday. Jim was happy to show us all around the garden and shared his vast knowledge. We came for a couple spice bushes and left with some milkweed in addition. We will definitely be back as we transform our landscape to be more pollinator friendly.
Positive Astiles45
Stockbridge, GA
June 29, 2018
My first visit, but will definitely be back! Jim was very knowledgeable and helpful. What a wonderful place. Great selection of plants at very reasonable prices. Thanks Jim!
Positive bellowsk
Falls Church, VA
June 19, 2018
The plants were in perfect shape when they arrived in a carefully packed box. Jim was very helpful in giving me more detailed information about Spigelia Marylandica on the phone. I will definitely purchase from this nursery again!
Positive ecr0001
June 7, 2018
Jim is a wealth of knowledge! He knows native species better than anyone I know - and I know a lot of native plant lovers! I came here for the rare, extinct in the wild, species Franklinia alatamaha and he had several to choose from. He has done so much with his nursery in the12 years he has owned it. You can tell he truly cares and is passionate about his work.
Positive Maranatha1
Huntsville, AL
May 28, 2018
My son, daughter-in-law and I saw Indian Pink at Huntsville Botanical Garden for the first time on Mother's Day and were quite taken by it. I called Nearly Native Nursery on Monday and again on Tuesday (not knowing they were closed on Mondays and Tuesdays) to care for their plants, but received a call back on Wednesday and I was able to place an order. Jim, one of the owners, was very helpful with information about the plant and an order was placed. I received it within 2 days and we were very impressed with the quality of the plants. I hope to order from them again.
Positive dburkenator
Shiloh, GA
May 27, 2018
I cannot express more than all of the other positive reviewers have. I searched for some host plants (milkweed) for a week before finding Nearly Native who had them. But that is an understatement. They had milkweed and sooooo much more. Echoing the compliments of the staff. If you want native plant alternatives to everything we grew up with that was brought over from Europe or Asia or elsewhere, these folks have it. I loved shopping there.
Positive Tmoh8
Saint Simons Island, GA
May 27, 2018
Ordered a Franklinia as a wedding gift for a friend and delighted with the service and specimen. FedEx charge between the nursery and our home in Coastal Georgia cost almost as much as the tree but the 4ft tree was safely delivered, well protected. I will use this nursery again.
Positive ehinman
May 23, 2018
Cool woodlands style nursery offering an abundance of plants and knowledge.
Positive suzesam
May 20, 2018
Jim and Debi are caring stewards of their land and of the plants that they nurture and sell. Their selection is abundant and the plants are very healthy. They're both very knowledgeable about the native plants that they propagate, and they're very good about helping customers pick out the plants that will work best in their growing conditions. I've had great experiences with them, and recommend them wholeheartedly.
Positive Biodan
Sharpsburg, GA
May 17, 2018
I re-discovered Nearly Natives this spring having been there many moons ago when they were in a different location. Thank goodness I finally went back!! I've been naturalizing my property more and more since I retired and found a refuge for natives! Jim and Debi are extremely knowledgeable, gregarious, and they have just about any species desirable. I've been able to get most all of the plants I've been searching in order to diversify my native forest oasis. They've even introduced me to species I hadn't considered, but have since grown to really appreciate. They're really great on identifying some things I couldn't, too. I HIGHLY recommend their nursery for rare, hard-to-find plants that are not your run-of-the-mill types you see at other nurseries. So, quit getting those exotics and see them for some truly extraordinary selections!