Only a few more days to enter our 19th Annual Photo Contest. Voting starts this Friday! You can submit your best images HERE

The scoop on 'MrMaple (Nichol's Nursery)'

MrMaple (Nichol's Nursery)

107 Maplewood Knoll Drive
East Flat Rock, North Carolina 28726 (United States)

Comments:

Positive LoveBrug
Greenback, TN (Zone 7a)
September 27, 2019
I’m on my third order from this nursery and each order arrived packed extremely well in a very timely manner.
All plants are healthy and well grown .
Finding myself gardening in zone 7a after decades of 10 and 9 I had to find a new interest and dwarf conifers fit the bill this company has been a great source for them .
Negative makrn
Bolingbrook, IL
September 24, 2019
Posted on September 17, 2019, updated September 24, 2019
I ordered 3 maples last spring.1 is thriving, 2 died within a month of planting. They were gallon plants, but had very small root development. I tried for weeks to get hold of them for replacement. Finally, one of the Nichols called me back in July, and said they wouldn’t have replacements til September. I offered to have them substitute similar plants, but he wouldn’t. So now it’s September and I haven’t heard a word from them after multiple attempts to email and call. The emails get kicked back, and their phone mailboxes are “full”,so you can’t leave a message and get cut off. No return/ replacement/ guarantee is listed on their website. I’m out $70. Very poor service. Buyer beware! Worst experience with mail order ever. They should stand by their products.
On September 24th, 2019, makrn added the following:

Addendum to my previous comments: After multiple attempts to contact MrMaple by phone and email( continued after the previous comments) I finally got through to one of the brothers. I explained my situation (above) and he said they did not have a replacement policy( buyer beware) and do not do this, but he would consult with his brother (who promised me replacement trees). He called back and said he would be sending my trees. I got 2 large( MUCH larger, healthy plants in the mail yesterday). However, this company has to decide whether to stand behind their products and have a replacement/return policy or explain why they do not on their website. Thank you
Positive treeguy_NY
Clarence, NY (Zone 6a)
September 21, 2019
This was my first purchase from MrMaple, a Styrax japonicus 'Emerald Pagoda'. I placed the order through their website. I received an email order confirmation, an email shipping notice with tracking number, and then an email notice that my plant was delivered. The plant was well packed and what I felt was an appropriate size for the listed size and price on their website. No complaints here, and I will likely order from them again.
Positive sd915
York, SC (Zone 8a)
September 13, 2019
Ordered 3 maples which arrived well-packed and in great shape. I'll definitely order again.
Negative Sam81
Peoria, IL
September 11, 2019
I originally wanted to make an order from the company but I have not been successful contacting them by phone or email. I sent an email with questions 9 days ago and have not received a response. I have tried calling the two numbers, listed on their website, and have never received an answer or a call back in response to my message. I’m now planning on taking my business elsewhere due to their seemingly nonexistent customer service.
Positive CooDeeFoo
Central, SC
May 23, 2019
Terrific- 5 star plants! I can't believe how beautiful the trees are that I received from Mr. Maple. Their packing techniques are amazing. The plants are well branched and healthy. The grafts are precise and well-protected on the younger plants. I have never had better value for my money. I have told all my gardening friends and showed them the plants I got from Mr. Maple. Don't hesitate to order if you want something; the most unique varieties sell out fast!
Positive hlh555
Durham, NC
April 10, 2019
Before you buy a Japanese maple, be sure to check out the huge variety of trees at MrMaple. They have some of the most unusual and beautiful trees I have seen and these are my favorites so I have seen a lot! I have ordered from them and the trees are always well packed, healthy and ready to plant in the landscape. This spring my trees were beautiful and I know they will only get better as they continue to grow.
I highly recommend this company. The owners are knowledgeable and ready to assist with any question. You can't go wrong with a tree from Mr. Maple.
Positive dgrhosta
Marietta, GA
January 9, 2019
I never ever like to complain about ones service and mail order because there are so many folks out there that just want something for nothing

So today I received my order of Ryusen and Beni kawa trees that were ordered not to long ago

When I walked out to my porch and saw this huge box I was in wonder because of an E mail that stated that I would get the trees on the 9th

My issue with these trees is that they were the VERY BEST PACKING OF ANY TREE OR plant I have EVER received and the condition of the trees was better than if I had gotten them from my nursery down the road.

The trees that I received were where my issue is and my comment on these absolute and completely satisfied I am as to not only the condition but the size of the trees

I could not be more pleased with the complete and entire transaction and look fwd to doing more business with your company

I received an order or the Bihou from another mail order because you were sold out on that variety. This company claimed that the tree was a 3 yr old graft and when I got it it was completely scattered throut a box and no dirt on the roots and to make matters worse the tree was not even labled and the PITIFULLY small limbs were the color of a blood good maple and VERY DISSATISFIED TO SAY THE LEAST

Needless to say I was not a happy camper

It is refreshing to now have a company and a maple expert that is dependable and honest along with insight and info on how to care for these trees to ensure the true success of these trees.

Thank you for your service response and even you quick answered to my access to your sight at 8 o clock at nite one evening

I have pictured your trees upon delivery and upon opening these trees that I am truly impressed grateful AND EXTREMELY HAPPY WITH MY ORDER AND THAT I NOW HAVE A MAIL ORDER THAT IS ABOVE ANY OTHER MAIL ORDER COMPANY I HAVE ORDERED FROM.

THANK YOU
Neutral Satindoll17
Middlesex, NC
October 31, 2018
I was so excited about finding this website/company and already referred them to my landscaper. Spoke with Tim twice in the last month. He never mentioned nor is it on the website that the week of 10/22/18 trees would not be mailed due to an event. I ordered trees on 10/19 expecting they would ship 10/22. Received an email saying they would ship 10/29. That was the day I had landscapers scheduled to plan those trees as well as other items. Had to reschedule landscaping and trying to keep trees that arrived from another company alive.
Trees arrived 10/31/18. The Maple is about 2 ft tall and looks dead; the Ginko is less than 12" tall. I have ordered other gallon trees and there is a marked difference in the size of the pots between the two companies. Disappointed in the service and my order. Hope the trees will live through the winter and survive.
Positive sdtraylor
Asheville, NC
September 29, 2018
My husband and I are fortunate enough to live 40 minutes away and we have learned so much from Tim! Beautiful, unique, healthy trees that we know will bring us joy as we watch them grow on our landscape. The bark of the Swamp Thing (Metasequoia) is stunning! MrMaple provides us with Japanese Maple and Culture experts ... Their respect for the tree's lineage is evident and learning the 'story' behind the cultivar is also fun!
Positive queenholly
Warsaw, IN
September 17, 2018
Posted on September 13, 2018, updated September 17, 2018
I purchased a one gallon size \'Diane\' Witch Hazel. While the plant I received seemed healthy enough, it was just a small stick of a seedling that had obviously not been grown in the one gallon container, but potted up from a smaller sized container. The gallon planter was filled about 3/4 full of potting soil with a tiny little root system sitting at the top quarter, the roots not anchored at all. I\'ve got greenhouse experience, and have potted up enough seedlings and cuttings to recognize this was freshly potted up, and had not been given any time to establish in the new container. Despite being a relatively rare, hard to source plant, the price for what I got can\'t be justified.
On September 17th, 2018, queenholly changed the rating from negative to positive and added the following:

So, I've got to back pedal here, and update my rating to a positive. Despite not having a published replacement policy, these guys will make things right, if there's a real problem with the tree you receive. They are sending me a replacement. It turns out the tree I received had been potted up in January, nine months ago, and for whatever reason, the root system had failed to thrive.
Positive Thirdstone
Asheville, NC
August 14, 2018
As the owner of a garden design/build operation in Asheville, I am incredibly lucky to be so near Mr. Maple (AKA Nichol's Nursery). Matt and Tim are super knowledgeable and helpful, and they obviously love what they do. Their plants show it -- I have bought too many plants from them to count, and they have all been of the highest quality, and with perfect root balls (never root-bound!). Their selection of maples is absolutely dizzying, but they have many other hard-to find plants as well, from stewartia to thujopsis, and more varieties of ginko than I ever knew existed. I highly recommend a trip to their nursery if you're anywhere near the area, or ordering online from them if you're not.
Positive myke1
Decatur, AL
August 8, 2018
Purchased a 3 gal stewartia monadelpha orange bark. The tree was 5' ft tall + and a nice looking tree for the tree size, shipping was fast and tree was packed well. I will order from them again. They have some rare type tree's that are hard to find and also lot's of rare maples that are hard to find,I was very satisfied with my tree that was ordered . I want to thank them again for their time, fast shipping and the nice size tree I received.....
Positive markens
Monument, CO
April 29, 2018
Fantastic maples. Very knowledgeable. Great communication. Maples received in great shape and looking very healthy. Packed very securely. I have found a place to support my hobby of growing hard to find maples. Looking forward to seeing how Acer Skutchii and Acer grandidentatum 'Hipazam' / Highland Park do in Colorado at 7,500 feet.
Positive b_scroggins
Raleigh, NC
April 6, 2018
My personal experience has been excellent with this site. Matt and Tim are always available for messaging in the case of questions or concerns. I found Facebook to be the fastest way to reach them. The products I have ordered always arrived quickly, in good condition and have performed. The site is easy to use. I have ordered many 3 gallon and 1 gallon sizes. The sizes have been exactly what I have expected for a Japanese Maple sold as a 1 or 3 gallon plant. They have been comparable to any garden center I have visited as far as sizing goes. Considering a 1 gallon tree is typically a rather tiny tree, I’d recommend a 3 gallon size if more “instant gratification” is desired. Will definitely order again.
Negative Shady_Steve
Baltimore County, MD (Zone 6b)
March 31, 2018
I ordered a "gallon" sized maple from these guys. When I took it out of the pot, it had a root ball the size of an orange. One has to wonder what these plant sizes even mean. I didn't think I was ordering a gallon of dirt.
Positive annewilliams
Pulaski, GA
June 15, 2017
Received my order today. Fast friendly service. Trees arrived in excellent shape. Ordering was easy. It is a pleasure to buy from Mr. Maple. And if you haven't visited their greenhouses, I suggest you make the trip to Flatrock, NC. My only problem is narrowing down selections to a reasonable amount for the landscape!
Positive NCMstGardener
Columbus, NC
May 29, 2017
Posted on October 28, 2013, updated May 29, 2017
We are close enough that we can visit the nursery. Recently NC State professor Brice Lane featured it on his PBS show \" In the Garden.\" After seeing the show we had to made a visit. We bought four trees (one very rare) and they were in great shape. When they say 1000 cultivars they mean it. It is simply overwhelming to see so many different maples. We found that Matt and Tim don\'t (can\'t) list all of their stock on their web site. Ask if you want something special. I think your odds are good that they will have it.
On May 29th, 2017, NCMstGardener added the following:

MrMaple held their third Maple Festival this Memorial Day and it was awesome. Beautiful and unique plants where ever you looked. Several attending talked about having two dozen or more Japanese Maples. One said his collection was nearing a hundred.While most were from NC and joining states, I spoke to one man who had come from Louisiana. We bought three more Maples and a rare dwarf Metasequoia glyptostroboides 'Schirrmann's Nordlicht'.

These brothers are considered world wide experts in what they do. Tim and Matt told us that a Japanese TV Network invited them to do a half hour show -- half filmed in NC and half in Japan. If you get the chance go to the Nursery!
Positive nwlivingston1
Seven Oaks, SC
April 6, 2017
I have bought over 30 Japanese Maples from Matt and Tim over the years and have found the plants to be of excellent quality. I am always astounded by their knowledge and their memory. I mentioned to them I was looking for a particular maple and a year later, they had found it and surprised me with it at the same plant festival. The passion and knowledge they bring to the selection and purchase experience is always first rate!
Positive Reids
Clover, SC
May 18, 2016
I have purchased from Nichol's Nursery/Mr Maple for more than six years. I thank Tim and Matt for all they do for me in providing information about their trees, bushes, and plants. I have lost only one tree and they worked with me to make sure of success in planting after purchasing fifty plus trees. I highly recommend Nichol's Nursery. They are helpful and knowledgeable about trees and plants and provide great customer service and excellent plants.
Positive AcerCrazy
Hoschton, GA
May 18, 2016
Just visited Mr Maple over the mothers day weekend to get mom a nice Japanese maple and of course myself a few. I am an avid maple collector with over 250 cultivars and the selection, quality, and service from the Mr Maple guys is the best bar none.

I have visited nurseries and ordered mail order from pretty much every maple specialty nursery and Mr Maple has opened up the world maple cultivars never very accessible to us collectors.

I got Mom a beautiful new cultivar 'Moonrise' which was pure gorgeousness! Yellow leaves with new growth showing a nice reddish pink on top. Of course felling the need to add to my collection I grabbed a few rarer cultivars.

3 g Verkades Jacus Potus
3 g Hazeroino
3 g Yamato Hagoromo
3 g A.b. Michael Steinhardt
3 g A.b. Hana chiru sato
3 g A sh. Moonrise

All gorgeous 3 gal 4+ ft tall. Very healthy and great prices!!!

The best place for all your specialty maple needs!!! Some of the most knowledgeable nurserymen in the maple industry great helping new gardeners or the most seasoned collectors!

Its a great felling knowing they are only a couple hours drive away!

Always look forward to their Memorial Day Open House!
Positive directorrod
Rockton, IL
Posted on January 3, 2014, updated May 18, 2016
Posted on October 24, 2013, updated January 3, 2014
I have made numerous purchases from Mr. Maple and all of my experiences have been exceedingly positive. The quality of all the Japanese maples I\'ve received from them has been excellent no matter the size I\'ve ordered but like my most recent purchases, beautiful 3 gallon Muro gawa and Nicholsonii, I strongly recommend that 3 gallon size as it is an excellent value. The packing of the trees is terrific, and if there were any questions concerning the cultivar or shipment the communication was great. Buy with confidence!
On January 3rd, 2014, directorrod added the following:

I have found Tim Nichols, (828) 551-6739, to be exceedingly helpful in getting hard to find cultivars, even ones not listed on his own MrMaple.com website. I\'ve received several shipments from him since my last posting and all the trees I\'ve gotten from him have been great!
On May 18th, 2016, directorrod added the following:

I am a longtime satisfied Mr. Maple customer. This month alone I received 4 trees from the nursery, all of them beauties. My most recent purchases were 3 gallon size Acer palmatum 'Narou', Acer palmatum 'Kawahara no midori', Acer palmatum 'Isobel', and Acer buergerianum 'Michael Steinhardt'. The Nichols brothers have a passion for Japanese maples and for getting trees to their customers that will thrive and create pleasure for years to come. Their business is a labor of love.
Positive DAUBERDOG
Wheeling, WV
May 17, 2016
Bought a beautiful GoldenTrident Maple called Michael Steinhardt.
Within few days leaves started to shrivel up and drop off.
Called Tim at Mr Maple and he immediately said he would replace it at no cost following week.
All I had to do was to send other tree back at their cost.
Later he told me to keep the other tree and baby it so to speak.
He replacement tree arrived in beautiful condition and looks very healthy.
The other tree is making slow comeback.
I couldn't be more pleased with their service treatment.
I have been buying trees from them for about two years now.
Trees arrive always in good condition.
Would highly recommend these guys.
They know their Maples

Sincerely

Rick Crow
Positive eneref
Marietta, GA
May 17, 2016
The Nichols brothers (Matt and Tim) sure know their maples. And what they sell and work with has always been top rate. I've several maples from them in the garden that I've gotten over the years. Just received a new rare one I'd been eyeing (Yamato Hagoromo). Gorgeous, large three gallon specimen that now had a prominent place in the garden. They're always helpful, easy to work with, and great to just chat with about plants. Top of their field. I would never hesitate to order from them.
Positive HelenYoest
Raleigh, NC
May 17, 2016
I've worked with MrMaple.com for about 5 years now. Most often, I make the drive to East Flat Rock b/c I'm usually picking up several, and I like to hear the boys suggest others new to me. Recently, I had a rare three-gallon rare maple shipped to me for a client. I was so impressed with the packaging. Not only did it arrive in perfect condition, MrMaple look ahead at my weather and noticed we were having a unseasonable frost as asked if I wanted it held until we were finally frost free! Excellent customer service. Excellent knowledge of plants, and maples, in particular. I will buy from MrMaple again and again. Helen
Positive MapleAddict
San Leandro, CA
May 17, 2016
Great place to find rare and hard to find maples. I recently purchased a Michael Steinhardt trident maple from them and was extremely happy with the size and quality of the tree. As far as I know they are the only online source that carries this beautiful cultivar. First thing that impressed me was the shipment packaging. The tree was secure and undamaged upon arrival and it was very easy to open the box and take the tree out, no excessive taping or fastening. I've had it now for almost 2 months and it's thriving in my garden. I've been collecting maples for over ten years now. I have purchased from many different sources (online and local nurseries) and must say that Matt and Tim at Mr. Maple are, by far, two of the most knowledgeable and passionate maple enthusiasts I've come across in that time. They're always quick to answer questions and they're very friendly. Five star customer support and quality trees are what you will get when dealing with Mr. Maple!
Positive ellerbegirl
Rockingham, NC
May 17, 2016
I have nothing but good things to say about my experience with Mr. Maple.com. I have ordered several maples and each time, the trees came within a few days. I am especially impressed with the way they package the trees for shipment. The trees looked great and have all done well. MrMaple.com is my first choice for Japanese Maples and I will be ordering again soon!
Positive 102GROUP
Avondale Estates, GA
May 17, 2016
I have been shopping with the Nichols brothers for years by mail and in person when I find them on the road. Not only are they a delight to work with, they are also a great source of hard to find maples at very reasonable prices. This is a family run operation and they treat their customers with a lot of respect. As a garden designer and incurable collector, I am always looking for great sources of unique and healthy plant material for my garden and for clients. MrMaple has become one of my favorite places to shop. The trees are always healthy and in great condition, and if I have questions they respond immediately.
Positive Hollywoodcolt23
Wilmington, NC
May 17, 2016
I have bought numerous trees of varying sizes and have never had any problems. Mr. Maple has been very helpful in helping with finding exactly what you are looking for. They are always fast to respond to any questions. I have not had any problems and don't expect any with their service. However if there is a problem I am sure they would make everything right. I look forward to doing business with them in the future.
Negative thequietearth
Hemby Bridge, NC
May 16, 2016
I really wanted to leave a positive review but I can't.
I bought 2 maples from them a few months ago.
One tree never flushed out and the other flushed out,
The leaves turned goey and fell off. I have over 20 years experience
Growing rare and unusual plants from all over the world so I am not an inexperienced gardener. I have tried contacting them several times and basically been ignored. I was hoping to use them again for the botanical garden but if they won't respond and stand by what they sell I don't think I can.
If I'd gotten an answer I would have tried to be objective.
Positive terryvirta
Petoskey, MI
April 26, 2016
I have had the pleasure of doing business with Mr Maple online and at the nursery in East Flat Rock, NC. Matt and Tim are extremely knowledgeable about their products. In addition they are friendly and extremely passionate about their business. If there were stars I would give them all provided.
Positive rdtjr05
Franklin, TN
March 22, 2016
Bought a Chionanthus retusus 'Yadkin Creeper' from them at the Nashville Lawn and Garden show recently. Interesting plant which I had never seen before. Their usual JM's all looked good at their booth. Recommended.
Positive tbuff
Nellysford, VA (Zone 6a)
March 22, 2016
I cannot say enough good things about this company and its owners. I have been a grower of rare plants for 30+ years and have done business with nurseries across the Unites States. Tim and Matt Nichols are a breath of fresh air in the plant world-two young men with a tremendous passion for what they do and a desire to please. In a world in which rare plant nurseries appear to be a dying breed, this company appears to be in it for the long haul. It takes guts. I have purchased numerous maples and ginkgo's from them and have always been pleased. Their stock is solid. When ordering plants, Tim and Matt have gone out of their way to accommodate. I have been a manager in Corporate America for many years and understand customer service. You will get it from this nursery. Tim and Matt are very professional and courteous. Beyond simply selling plants, they can give you the history behind individual cultivars. For those of us on the East Coast, especially the South and Mid Atlantic, this nursery gives us an advantage because their maple rootstock is well-suited for our climate. There is an interesting story behind this and I would encourage you to ask Tim or Matt, who can explain much better than I.
Negative Gardenplant
College Grove, TN
March 22, 2016
This company will not stand behind their plants. I bought several trees from this nursery. While most survived one did not. Less than 6 months after spending $85.00 (includes shipping) on a 3 gallon Japanese Maple it died. When I brought this to the attention of the nursey I was told they have no replacement policy. Be very careful purchasing from this nursery, you never know what you are going to get and they will not work with you if there is a problem. I will not be returning as a customer.
Positive kins02
Brooklyn, NY
May 1, 2014
Just purchased a "Japanese Sunrise" Japanese Maple from MrMaple. Bought the 3 gallon size. Shipping was fast and received a beautiful, healthy tree. Excellent price for this tree. The packaging was fantastic. Very pleased and high recommend.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Tour | Contact Us ]