Our 19th Annual Photo Contest is now open for entries. You can submit your best images HERE

The scoop on 'The Springhouse Nursery'

The Springhouse Nursery

PO Box 143
Smartt, Tennessee 37378 (United States)

Fax: none

Catalog Order Page: Hyperlink
Paper Catalog Cost: none

Comments:

Negative BG_Garden
Bowling Green, KY
June 8, 2019
Posted on May 1, 2019, updated June 8, 2019
Springhouse Nursery had great prices and reasonable shipping costs, so I ordered a pin oak and a southern magnolia. Both arrived well- packed and on time. The trees looked good and the roots were wet although sparse. I planted the next day and was hopeful.

Sadly, the magnolia lost all its leaves within a week; the pin oak never showed any signs of life (the buds are now brown and dry). I received two trees the same week from a different nursery and they have thrived under identical care.

Conclusion? Something went wrong at Springhouse Nursery when they were preparing these trees for shipping (did they let the roots dry out?). If you want live trees best to pay more and order from another vendor.
On June 8th, 2019, BG_Garden added the following:

Better, then worse...

Right before I was to take a road trip at the end of May I noticed the pin oak WAS alive-- hooray! So I did not purchase a replacement pin oak.

However, when I returned, I noticed the leaves didn't look right. The tree was clearly tagged with a label saying "pin oak". Yet hen the leaves had fully expanded, it was clear the tree wasn't a pin oak at all but a chestnut oak or related species (swamp chestnut, maybe chinkapin).

Considering how many different oaks this nursery has listed on their website, you'd think they could tell the difference between a pin oak and a chestnut oak (and that they wouldn't sell trees where their identity was in doubt!).

And although Chestnut oaks are beautiful trees, it is probably too wide of tree for the space where it was planted, which is why we ordered a pin oak in the first place. We really should replace it with a pin oak....

Meanwhile the magnolia is still just a green stick with one tiny leaf. Springhouse nursery wrote me that it was normal for all of the leaves to fall off a magnolia after bare-root shipping; it sounds like it is best to buy them potted!
Positive josa0512
Athens, AL
November 9, 2018
On 11/06/18 I ordered $100 worth of trees and shrubs for my parents but then afterwards I learned that they were planning on moving in a couple of years. So I called The Springhouse Nursery two days later and they graciously cancelled my order and issued me a full refund. They gave me excellent customer service and seem to be a classy business that treats its customers well. They were very nice over the phone. I will definitely do business with them again.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Tour | Contact Us ]