The scoop on 'Rare Roots'

Rare Roots

Rare Roots has 601 products listed in PlantScout.

8011 Bell Creek Road
Mechanicsville, Virginia 23111 (United States)

Phone: 8042966592

Comments:

Positive KatLinThorn
Raleigh, NC
November 26, 2020
Very positive ordering experience. A new plant vendor for me. I first placed a small order and was very pleased with the size and health of the plants, so then placed a larger order with some sale plants and was just as happy with my plants. The plants come in pots and are packaged very well. A good selection of perennials and will be ordering more in the future.
Positive Nebechadnzzer
Coker, AL
September 30, 2020
I am very pleased that my first mail order experience with perennials was successful. Rare Roots showed excellent communication and shipped promptly. I highly recommend them and can't wait for my next purchase.

Thanks to Dave's Garden for allowing us to learn from these reviews and keep us on track to do what we loveó garden.

Tyler
Positive kkirschbaum
Newburyport, MA (Zone 6b)
September 5, 2020
I recently placed an order for some yarrow, penstemon, and chrysogonum from Rare Roots. I was very pleased with the experience ó the prices seem fair, the communication about the order was great, the order was shipped promptly at the requested time, they were good about sending a tracking number, and the plants were well packaged and arrived in great shape.

When the box arrived, I noticed there would have been room for another three plants. Had I realized this, I probably would have ordered more to fill the box (on the assumption that a completely full carton would have had the same shipping cost).

In any case, this is a new mail order nursery for me, and I would definitely order from them again.
Positive dragonfly53
Bedford, VA (Zone 7a)
May 22, 2020
I ordered 2 species of Pycnanthum, Muticum and Virginianum, both arrived within 2 days of placing the order. They were well packed and extremely healthy looking! I am very pleased with this order!

I am so looking forward to placing more orders in the future with them!
Positive kjanine
Gig Harbor, WA
May 21, 2020
Beautiful, extremely and I mean extremely hard to find native yellow coneflower (Echinacea paradox)! They had them and I took all 8. I plan on planting these with mexican feather grass. The shipping was a bit high BUT these plants had to go through an inspection for japanese beetle. Not only that, the packaging was beautiful and best I have seen so far on any order I have had and I have had some great packaging. These have nice pots, nice cardboard container slots that 3 each fit in back to back, if there are not enough plants to fill 6 back to back they even put in a spare pot to fill out the whole thing! Plastic bags around every pot to conserve moisture, then double rubber banded with the plastic twisted and firmly secured in the dirt with a metal pin clasp that I have never seen before. Then a support stick in EACH plant - just in case so the stick would stop any crushing from shipping. I mean this thing was bomb-proof and arrived in two days from across the united states. AND THEREFORE, I will definitely be ordering again from this company as I have no fear as to product quality and shipping.
Positive moyashi
(Zone 6a)
April 18, 2020
I've purchased from Rare Roots last year and again this year. I received my plants last week and was amazed by how each plant looked like it had been individually and lovingly nurtured. I was a DG member many many years ago, but I decided to become a member again just to share my positive experience with Rare Roots, because I strongly believe that we should support small businesses that go above and beyond. They have the best quality and size plants at the best prices.
Positive snpatrickva
Lancaster, VA
April 8, 2020
The 5 plants I just received are among the best mail order plants ever received. Also great customer service, fast, quality shipping and plants. I am eager to order again
Positive VA_GARDEN
Hood, VA (Zone 7a)
April 2, 2020
Beautiful plants, perfect packaging. Order arrived very quickly, and customer service is great. I communicated questions via E-mail prior to ordering and they responded very rapidly. I have grown plants from the affiliated Sandy's Plants that have always performed well in my garden, and am very pleased to be able to get some of the more unusual items that are often sold out by the time I make the trip to Sandy's through mail order. .
Positive RobInNJ
Moorestown, NJ
October 6, 2019
Iíve made two purchases from Rare Roots in the past month and these have been my first orders with them. Their website offers a wide variety of perennial plants. I was very impressed with the packaging and speed of shipping. The plants arrived in perfect condition and are healthy. I would recommend Rare Roots and plan to shop them again.

I exchanged emails with the company and found they have been growing plants for almost 40 years, but this is their first year doing mail order.
Positive CooDeeFoo
Central, SC
April 24, 2019
Wonderful customer service. My first order arrived damaged. I emailed them pictures. Someone answered within 24 hours and shipped new plants immediately. This second order arrived in superb condition.
Positive keywest769
Aylett, VA
December 21, 2018
Posted on December 21, 2018, updated December 21, 2018
Posted on December 21, 2018, updated December 21, 2018
I recently ordered Autumn Brillance fern and Circus Heuchera. My order arrived in just a few days. The packaging kept the pots well secured and the foliage looks nice ! I will definitely order from this company again as they have many unique perennials that Iím looking forward to adding to my garden this spring!
On December 21st, 2018, keywest769 added the following:

On December 21st, 2018, keywest769 added the following:

Also found Rare Roots web site easy to navigate. The pictures and info are very helpful! Ordering was easy !