1759 McGarity Road
McDonough, Georgia 30252 (United States)
770-573-1778

Reviews:

Displaying the 17 most recent reviews

On Mar 23, 2022, kndlpwendl (4 reviews) from Bellewood, KY

Given the negative reviews here, I was skeptical about ordering from Wilson Bros. But it was the only place I could find the shrub I was looking for, so I went in with the mindset that if it didn't work out, I lost some $$ but got a good lesson. I'm happy to say it worked out just fine. The shrub was healthy, a proper 3 gallon size, and packaged well. HERE IS THE CAVEAT THOUGH...I don't know why, but many nurseries ship every day of the week. Wilson Bros does it too. I have found from experience that many problems come up when a plant is sitting in a warehouse over the weekend, so I now always call to check to see when a plant is shipped in order to avoid that. I called Wilson Bros and they told me that if I ordered on a Thursday, it would ship on Monday or Tuesday and arrive on Thursday or Friday. This is exactly what happened, and I think since the plant wasn't spending an extra two days in a warehouse, all worked out well.

On Jan 30, 2022, RoboTax (5 reviews) from Fredericksburg, VA

I ordered two Cherry Dazzle Crape Myrtles last year in a 3 gallon pot. The plants arrived bone dry. What's worse it appeared that the plants were grown in a smaller pot and transferred to a larger pot, and the empty space backfilled with potting mix. There were no roots in this space and the potting mix just fell away. I will try not to buy from them again.

On Dec 9, 2021, landscapergal (2 reviews) from Silverton, OR

I have ordered several plants from Wilson Brothers. For the most part they are healthy. But had trouble with a poor quality plant that came..soil bone dry. I tried but no saving this plant..Wilson brothers basically did nothing. I contacted them a few times too. My biggest issue with them at this point is invasive plants! I have brought a few to their attention but they say it is the buyers responsibility. And will not post on the plants page that it is invasive. They say that my comments are my "feelings" Mexican Feather Grass, Miscanthus Sinensis, Honeysuckle Bush, most Buddleia just to name a few. Buddleia and Honeysuckle Bush are very problematic!! I think they have a moral responsibility to post warnings. If a plant is not shipped to a certain states..that is your first clue it is invasive. Needless to say not sure I will be supporting them any longer.

On Nov 20, 2021, fern4 (14 reviews) from Portland, OR

I just made my first purchase from Wilson Brothers. I bought a 3 gallon Snow Flurry camelia that was a very significant size (roots and stems), probably larger than they told me if would be when I asked about the plant size. (They were also very quick to get back to me in response to my questions.) The plant is in excellent condition, the packaging was very sturdy and kept everything in the pot, and I am pleased that I could find what I was looking for in local nurseries. This is the largest plant I've ever had shipped and it was a wholly excellent experience.

On Jun 25, 2021, Sarmistha (5 reviews) from Richmond, VA

This nursery is only good as long as you dont get a bad plant. If you get a bad plant they will say things like 'We stand by our plants' but will not replace nor refund the bad plants. There are several other trustworthy nurseries you can get the same plants, and also cheaper.

On Dec 16, 2021 12:46 PM, Wilson Brothers Gardens responded with:

Hi Sarmistha,

We do stand behind the health of all of our plants when shipped . Because there are so many things that can happen to a plant when grown in containers we do state on our guarantee page "We cannot offer any guarantee beyond our normal guarantee for plants purchased from us that are transplanted to and grown in above ground pots or other containers that are situated indoors or outdoors." Below is our last email on this issue that includes more information.

Hope your day is going well. Thanks for the information. Yes I was just concerned as the sheets of paper were not fully removed although usually the paper is shredded when used for mulch as that lets the plants breath better. As well below are other issues that can affect plants growing in containers which is why we do not guaranty them when grown in containers

In nature, most plants grow in the ground. Though growing plants above ground in containers is doable and can be successful with proper attention to planting and care, it is not natural.

In comparison to the ground, containers hold substantially less growing media (soil). This means their surface-area-to-volume ratio is far greater, which causes them to heat up and cool down far quicker than the ground. These fluctuations in temperature can damage plant roots and compromise overall growth.

The same applies for the rate of water loss or retention in pots, meaning you will have to monitor and maintain soil moisture more frequently, which can be up to twice a day at the peak of the summer, depending on the type of plant. One missed watering could spell serious damage or death of a plant. Too much water from rain or irrigation, or poor drainage caused by a drainage hole that is stopped up with roots and/or soil media, can cause a waterlogged soil that suffocates roots and causes root rot and other plant diseases. To avoid drainage holes from becoming stopped up we always advise lining the bottom interior of the pot with shade cloth or a porous landscape fabric. If you place gravel in the bottom of the container lay the fabric over it.

There are nutritional concerns as well. Potting soils don't contain or hold the vital nutrients that are vital to ongoing plant health as well as ground soil. If you are using a traditional compost-based potting media for your pots, you will also need to test and apply fertilizer and essential nutrients on a more frequent basis. This is because potting soils are usually made of ingredients such as peat or coir that naturally contain low levels of essential plant nutrients. Potting soil typically doesn't hold nutrients as well as the ground.

The difference these cumulative effects can have on plant growth can be significant. Plants growing in containers will often achieve only half the normal size and flower or fruit production as they would growing in the ground, where their roots have more room to spread and nutrients are more readily available.

So what to do if space or other restrictions require you to grow plants in containers rather than the ground?

There are three ways to up your success. First, choose pots of non-porous materials like metal, glazed ceramic, plastic or resin, not breathable terracotta, which can lose water throughout its entire surface. Second, plants growing in larger pots with more soil space will always be less susceptible to these cumulative effects than smaller pots. And, finally, using a soil-based growing media verses a peat-based one will hold water and minerals for far longer and wonít break down anywhere near as fast.

Hope this information is helpful and don't hesitate to let us know if you need more details or have any other questions.

Spencer Young | Wilson Bros Gardens

On Apr 19, 2021, Torched (5 reviews) from (Zone 8a)

Last year I bought 5 plants from Wilson Brothers in McDonough Georgia. These 5 different plants came from 5 different plant families. Altogether, I ordered two evergreens, two deciduous shrubs and a vine. Some of these plants had been repotted into much larger pots before shipping, but that kind of fraud is trivial compared to the fact that 4 of my 5 different plants had fungal leaf spot disease. I've been gardening for 50 years, but I had never encountered fungal leaf spot disease before. This fungus disease does not kill the plants, it just ruins the looks of the foliage. Furthermore, this fungus disease spreads to neighboring plants. Imagine my horror, when I noticed similar spots on my beloved plants that were growing next to these newer plants from Wilson Brothers. I've been working on this garden for over 30 years. Wilson Brothers plants were in my garden for a few months and left an indelible ugly disease that is spreading across my beloved collection. The bottom line is that I gave Wilson Brothers money to infect my plant collection and to waste a tremendous amount of my time. I dug up the diseased plants I received from Wilson Brothers and threw them in the GARBAGE. I'm pruning off the spotted leaves that my older plants developed, and I will now have to maintain a scrupulously clean garden area, quickly removing every fallen leaf for the rest of my life to avoid spreading this leaf spot fungus. THANKS A LOT WILSON BROTHERS FOR RUINING MY 30+ YEAR OLD GARDEN AND FOR CREATING MORE MAINTENANCE WORK FOR THE REST OF MY LIFE! THANKS FOR THE GRIEF! I've bought plants from far more than 50 different nurseries during my years of gardening, but none of those nurseries have disappointed me anywhere near as much as Wilson Brothers. There is nothing they can do to rectify this situation they caused. I've paid dearly for this education. I will never have another plant from Wilson Brothers in my garden. How many folks never realize their plants have disease? How many of their neighbor's plants have been infected? How long will it take before every gardener must battle this disease? A nursery that ships diseased plants to their customers must think their customers are idiots ....and they are getting away with it because after dealing with the disaster the victim doesn't have time nor the desire to waste time communicating with the source of the problem who could care less about the problems they caused ...otherwise, why would they sell diseased plants?

On Mar 30, 2021, JoeHolt (1 reviews) from Norman, AR

I purchased 5 trees from this company. One showed up burnt and half dead, three were grafts (and amateur grafts at that) and only one was what I paid for. The trees in the larger pots are just as small as the smaller pots so you are getting charged double price because they spent pennies on a larger plastic pot. You've been warned! Your money is certainly better spent elsewhere.

On Dec 16, 2021 1:11 PM, Wilson Brothers Gardens responded with:

In the Nursery industry most varieties of Japanese maples, especially rare ones like we carry, are usually propagated by grafting. Named cultivars do not come true from seed so a branch is cut from the cultivar and grafted onto a Japanese maple rootstock that was grown from seed, which is almost always Acer Palmatum. This way you will get the exact clone of the cultivar Unlike if you were to try to grow from seed, which more often than not will revert to the parent acer palmatum.

hereís one helpful article that explains the nature and reproduction of japanese maples in great detail. grafting is the reason you will not find these varieties in the wild.

[[email protected]]

All of the grafting of our Japanese Maples are done by Professionals. The grafts on Younger Japanese Maples will be more prominent but as the tree ages and the trunks thicken it will just appear as a slight bump.

Also I do see communication with Our customer service Representative , Jen, on this issue. Although it has been to long to offer a return now we do see at the time you were offered a chance to return these items. (email below).
_________________________________________________
Good Day,

Jen here from Wilson Bros Gardens, thanks for your email!

I do see your note on your order for a bonsai. The packagers are not familiar with bonsai since we do not sell bonsai plants, but to do a bonsai you would need a very small one gallon to successfully bonsai it due to the age and size. 3 gallon sizes of Japanese maples are too old and thick to be formed and contorted to successfully be a true bonsai. If you would like to return these for a refund and purchase a one gallon instead we can do a picture order to pick out a better specimen For this purpose. In all honesty, to do a bonsai I would recommend purchasing a Liner plant (very small baby plant) or planting these and taking a cutting to bonsai into a tree. My husband, who also works at Wilson bros, is currently working on a bonsai with a cutting. He swears itís easier than with a one gallon plant, but we will see. :) In my experience, a liner plant or one gallon is easier, but heís more patient than me.

These plants are currently still coming out of dormancy and it looks like they experienced some cold Temperatures during transit on the leaves, which is cosmetic damage and can be pruned off for new leaves to bud out. The branches look healthy. Sometimes grafts do not look great on dormant Japanese maples until they are older and more mature.

If you decide to return these, let me know and I can send you return instructions and labels!

If you have any further questions, please don\'t hesitate to ask!
______________________________________________

As far as the size of our plants, If you are familair with Japanese Maples the height of the youngers ones may sometimes be similar to the older ones but the older ones will have more branches and a more developed canopy.

On Dec 16, 2021 1:12 PM, Wilson Brothers Gardens added:

[[email protected]]

_________________________________________________
Good Day,

Jen here from Wilson Bros Gardens, thanks for your email!

If you have any further questions, please don't hesitate to ask!
______________________________________________

Wilson Bros Gardens.

On Mar 6, 2021, chriscyy (3 reviews) from Mercer Island, WA

Posted on March 6, 2021, updated March 6, 2021 Posted on May 23, 2020, updated March 6, 2021 excellent packaging. You will rest assured plants will arrived not damaged. The size of plant is exactly like their website described. I have shopped with them 4 years in a row and have never been disappointed! Will keep buying from them.

On March 6th, 2021, chriscyy changed the rating from positive to negative and added the following: The plants are getting smaller and smaller. Got a 3 gallon Camellia and they simply stuffs 2 10 inches plans into a 3 gallon pot. The bloom color turned out to be not what the website described. Was told by customer service that even a 5 gallon plant is considered young and therefore can be small. The reply is just simply an insult to experienced gardener. DO NOT BUY FROM THEM.
On March 6th, 2021, chriscyy added the following: The plants are getting smaller and smaller. Got a 3 gallon Camellia and they simply stuffs 2 10 inches plans into a 3 gallon pot. The bloom color turned out to be not what the website described. Was told by customer service that even a 5 gallon plant is considered young and therefore can be small. The reply is just simply an insult to experienced gardener. DO NOT BUY FROM THEM.

On Feb 26, 2021, cheyotto (5 reviews) from Rockland, MA (Zone 6b)

Posted on March 4, 2020, updated February 26, 2021 SPEND AWAY - THESE GUYS ARE LEGIT - FREE SHIPPING! I am a huge researcher before I order online roses, shrubs, plants, etc., so I'm going to pay it forward. I received my two gardenia's today. They are lush, exactly as described, and packaged with TLC. I've corresponded with Cole via email and he always responds within 24 hours or less. I accidentally ordered the same order twice. He brought it to my attention and made sure I would get refunded. I asked if they could hold onto the balance of my products until May since it's still cool in Massachusetts. Knowing me, I'll probably add to my list before then anyway. Hope this helps someone!

On February 26th, 2021, cheyotto added the following: FEB 25, 2021: Bought three more trees and as usual they are amazing! Always packaged professionally, and the quality is always superb! The only bummer is that you cannot postpone the ship date. It's not a deal breaker for me. It's more important that I receive a healthy product from a reliable company. I rely on reviews and always come to Dave's Garden Watchdog prior to buying. Thanks, Dave!

On Oct 12, 2020, colejusmc (1 reviews) from Fredericksburg, VA

Since becoming a Wilson Bros customer in Feb 2020, I've made 10 orders of multiple plants each totaling approx $800. I have been a satisfied customer until my latest order. Wilson Bros has a "Healthy Plants Guarantee" that states: "Healthy Plants Guaranteed - When you place an order with Wilson Bros Gardens, we guarantee that you will receive healthy, container-grown, landscape-ready plants of retail nursery quality". As you'll see from the posted pictures, I received two center piece viburnums that did not live up to this Guarantee. One arrived with exposed roots, and was completely unanchored to its container. I can live with that as a matter of poor packing for the shipping it underwent. The other was shipped as a diseased plant. Probably a fungus. I have done everything possible to make Wilson Bros aware of my surprise and displeasure with this situation. Their response has been totally unsatisfactory. Regarding the diseased plant, their customer service rep told me that the leaves would soon be falling off and would be replaced by healthy ones. What a ridiculous assertion. First of all, anyone who knows plants can recognize a diseased plant - especially one with a plant fungus. Second, no one would buy such a plant from a reputable nursery. Third, such a plant is NOT 'landscape ready'. If you are thinking of buying plants sight unseen from an expensive mail-order company like Wilson Bros, think again. They readily foist DISEASED plants on their customers. And, they DO NOT live up to their published guarantee.

On Dec 16, 2021 8:42 PM, Wilson Brothers Gardens responded with:

Wilson Bros Gardens has a 30 day return period and plants can be returned for any reason within that period. We see from our correspondence on this issue that you were advised of that and were sent a return label but did not ship them back. .

As far as the spots on the leaves when sent, we grow all of our plants outside so they will be acclimated to the weather when you receive them. Towards the end of a long summer and when going into the fall transition stage the leaves of plants will naturally start to change color and develop spots, patches and other blemishes, which is due to the chlorophyll factories in the plant shutting down. The plant will drop its leaves as usual and will flush out fresh new leaves in spring.

We did notice that you have placed 10 orders with us since this issue so I do assume the order has been resolved to your satisfaction.

Wilson Bros Gardens

On Aug 28, 2020, loveplants101 (3 reviews) from Arlington, VA

The plants from them come very well packaged. For the most part they are healthy. I did receive one plant that died very quickly. I gave them the highest rating on the plants that survived and they posted those reviews. I gave a low rating on the one that did not survive and they did not post it. If their site allows posting they should take the good with the bad.

On Jun 29, 2020, cachegardener (1 reviews) from Logan, UT

I ordered for the first time from Wilson Bros at the end of May as reliable Forestfarm was out of the variety I wanted. My order was for three 3-gallon potted flowering quince "Cameo" (semi-double, peach/pink blooms) as I had had a well-loved Cameo quince for 20 plus years at my previous house. The plants arrived well packed but the few old blossoms remaining were strikingly orange red (not peach) and the foliage/form was also quite different from my previous Cameo (smaller, duller leaves, less compact stems). I was finally ready to plant them this past week but noticed one of them had put out some new buds-- also very red. I waited until the four or so flowers opened. They were definitely red/orange red and single blooms-- not peach/pink, semi-double. I took photos and attached them to the email on the Wilson Bros contact form saying they had sent me the wrong variety of flowering quince and I couldn't plant them. I asked what they would do to rectify the problem. The service manager called today and agreed that the one plant with the red flowers was not Cameo and I would have to return it for any refund. I asked him why since it was clear that it was not the variety that I had ordered. He replied that ANY plant shipped had to be returned for a refund. Thus, because there was no way he could know whether the other two were ALSO not Cameo, he said I would have to plant them and wait until spring when they bloomed IF they weren't Cameo for any refund. So I was faced with shipping twice-- at my expense--once now and again, digging up the plants if I planted them-- in the spring!. In all the years I have ordered from online plant companies, I have never been sent the wrong variety. Moreover, I am astounded at such inflexible, unreasonable customer service and failure to take responsibility for their error, especially when I provided clear evidence that the shipment was different from the variety I ordered. They are keeping the full amount of my order ($179.46) for plants I can't plant. At a minimum, an offer to refund at least the one photographed plant would have been a gracious response. Buyer beware! I have given all three plants to my neighbor as a gift and will never order from Wilson Bros Gardens again.

On Jun 24, 2020, lafu115 (7 reviews) from Arlington, VA

I wanted to add some camellias to our yard. Wilson Bros was one of the few places that had Kanjiro. I ordered one -- because I had never ordered from this company before. The 3 gallon plant came quickly and was in great condition. Careful packing. I then ordered a second Kanjiro and two Buttermint camellias. Those three were also in excellent condition. The second Kanjiro was quite large for a 3 gallon plant. Very pleased!

On May 11, 2020, whaisname (4 reviews) from Oyster Bay, NY

Purchased a three gallon Florida anise which arrived Saturday. Planted on Sunday. My three gallon is really a one gallon. The rootball was placed on top of the larger potís soil. Tried calling the company both yesterday and today leaving messages and also an email. I had placed another order because the plant is lovely, but if is a three gallon price and a one gallon plant I donít want it. Oh yes the original plant is wilting a bit. Too much top for to little root structure?

On Dec 16, 2021 9:28 PM, Wilson Brothers Gardens responded with:

The Florida Anise are light rooters especially when grown in pots. With issues like this we would need pictures of the rootball to assess the health and take any necessary action. I see that you did email us with your concerns on Saturday May 9th 2020 and we responded on Sunday May 10th requesting pictures but we never heard back from you.

Wilson Bros Gardens

On May 4, 2020, Lorenzo99 (10 reviews) from Winchester, KY

I ordered three crepe myrtles from this nursery. Plants were well-packed, sizable and healthy (two were considerably larger than what I expected). Good selection and reasonable prices.

On Apr 30, 2020, krhodes (2 reviews) from Winston Salem, NC

A friend shipped me a 1-gallon Crossvine "Shalimar Red Crossvine - Bignonia capreolata" as a gift. The plant is absolutely beautiful and healthy. Nice green foliage. The plant on a stake is about 2' tall and shipped in 3' tall box with a cardboard stabilizing base for the pot in the box. I will definitely be ordering from Wilson Brothers!

On Jun 28, 2019, Pinxter (6 reviews) from Eminence, MO (Zone 6a)

6/29/19 I did an internet search for Magnolia figo (Banana Shrub) to add to my garden. After reviewing multiple websites, I located the item on Wilson Brothers Gardens website with a size and price that I had in mind. Before placing my order I had some questions, so I sent them a message via their website. I received a very prompt response from Spencer Young, and placed my order on 6/12/19, with a requested ship date of 6/17/19. My order shipped via UPS Ground on 6/17/19 and I received it on 6/19/19. The packaging was done professionally and the shrub came out of the carton looking like I had carried it home from their nursery. I am very pleased with all aspects of ordering from Wilson Brothers Gardens - communications, plant quality, packaging and timely shipping. I highly recommend Wilson Brothers Gardens.

» Read the rest of the reviews