The scoop on 'Ferry-Morse Seed Company'

Ferry-Morse Seed Company

P.O.Box 1620
Fulton, Kentucky 42041 (United States)

Fax: 270-472-3402
Paper Catalog Cost: n/a

This company offers a variety of seeds.

Company Comment, posted on August 19, 2003:
We are a manufacturer/supplier, and we supply our products to more than 10,000 retail stores throughout all 50 states and Puerto Rico; we have no printed catalog.

We offer more than 750 varieties of seed. We are the exclusive U.S. supplier of Jiffy seed starter products to retailers, and we sell grass seed (packaged and bulk); Ferry-Morse-branded seed starter products; seed packets printed in English or Spanish, greeting cards with seed inside; novelty garden kits; shaker cans of wildflowers and other flower mixes including perennial mixes, and more.

Comments:

Displaying the 50 most recent comments:

Negative EastMode
Fallon, NV
July 9, 2019
I usually don't write reviews but my time and my money have been wasted on these poor quality seeds. Various types of seeds have had issues.
Asparagus and spinach did not germinate at all, tried various methods but no joy.
Pepper and cucumber, poor percentage germinated, those that did were small and regardless of the care are still about four inches tall. Two of the yellow crookneck squash germinated out of eight, one is small and produces poor quality small fruit, the other produces a green crookneck shaped, maybe a hybrid?
The radish did well, but in all my years of gardening that is one veggie that is pretty much a given.
A co-worker has had almost identical issues, as he relies heavily on home grown produce to feed his family, he is now very much behind the power curve.
I am hoping that Lowe's will take the unopened packs back although I should just burn them and save someone else the heartache.
Negative mico7290
Mesa, AZ
May 26, 2019
Purchased Ferry-Morse Blackeyed Peas and Pink Eye Purple Hull peas yesterday, planted today. $1.78 per pkg with 80-90 seeds per package. Each seed cost roughly $.0225; even the little shriveled up ones and the split ones. I've been unimpressed with Ferry-Morse seeds before and am now convinced never to try them again. I'm a graduate of the local Master Gardener program and have been actively gardening in the Phoenix area since 1980. Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me.
Negative piorio9
Pawtucket, RI
April 9, 2019
I bought several seed packets at Home Depot. I have been a seed germinator for over 30 years. First time I tried FM seeds: the first two, spinach and basil showed no or less than 1% germination. I was suspicious as to plastic packaging which doesn't breathe and leads to trapped moisture and mold---Never again! The other 12 packets are going back today.
Negative isabel95
Hendersonville, NC
March 7, 2019
Have bought three varieties of basil seed this year at Lowe's and had extremely poor germination. I am an experienced grower and know what I'm doing. I will never buy Ferry Morse seed again. I normally return seed I haven't used to a ZipLoc bag and store it in my refrigerator using it for several years and have had good germination year after year. I particularly like Renee's Garden Seeds. One unique packet has three different Asian eggplant varieties in it, coated with different colors so you know which variety is which.
Negative KSci
Ellisville, MS
August 26, 2018
Planted Purple Hull Pink Eye southern peas. Germination rate seemed reasonable, but there are at least two types of pods/peas.There was a nice crop of perfect purple hulled peas produced from pure white flowers, but also a second crop beginning just as the first completed with white and lavender flowers producing cream/white hulls containing much smaller peas. The plants producing the two types of peas appear to be otherwise identical in appearance. This does not appear to be a trait of the plant as I can't find any references to similar experiences using google..

The same sort of thing happend a couple years ago with some green beans that produced both Blue Lake and Kentucky Wonder type pods. I'll not buy this company's seed again.
Negative davidtimes2
Casstown, OH
July 24, 2018
I started Ferry-Morse bell pepper seeds in April 2018, that were packaged as California Wonder variety. The seeds germinated well and I put eighteen beautiful plants in my garden in late May. They began bearing fruit in late July. They aren't bearing the best large "bell" peppers as described on the packaging, rather they are bearing cayenne. Very disappointed.
Negative rserv
Lexington, NC
March 24, 2018
Started (4) types seeds per instructions on the packet: Cabbage, Broccoli (2) , and Cauliflower.
All packs were marked for 2018.
Used jiffy peat pots with Ferry-Morse heating mat.

Germination was inconsistent and with about a 50% overall germination rate.
These results were disappointing and will need to start over.
A waste of time and money.

Negative violet54
Foristell, MO
July 30, 2017
Bought a packet of Butterfly Weed, sowed in 3 1/2" pots with seed starter mix. Had about 50 % germination, but the problem was about half of the germinated plants were not Butterfly weed. As they matured I recognized them to be garden phlox. Only about 10" tall at the moment, but don't know what color they we be. Poor quality control at Ferry-Morse Seed Co. More like Very-Remorse Seed Co.
Negative ElkieH
Ooltewah, TN
June 23, 2017
I bought a pack of Ferry Morse spaghetti squash seeds and planted four hills of three seeds (12 plants) 7 weeks ago. Today I removed 8 of the 12 plants because they were obviously cross pollinated. Three of the 12 look like they were cross pollinated with a zucchini, two look like they were cross pollinated with a butternut squash and the others produced round fruit--like a melon. I wrote the company and they said they would send more seeds... Why would I trust their seeds and wait seven weeks to see whatever monstrosity they produce? I even sent them photos of the strange fruit. This company obviously doesn't germination test the product they get from their suppliers. The company: plantationproducts.com sells seeds under various labels so beware you might not be reaping what you sow.
Negative abeasley99
Lake Charles, LA
March 11, 2017
Purchased a pack of cucumber seeds, the Sow Easy. Planted them 3 times, in the garden directly and in peat pots. Kept the soil moist the first two times and kept the soil sopping wet the third time.

Not one single seed germinated. Dug them up, except for a slightly faded color, the seeds were essentially just like they were when I planted them.

I have been gardening myself for over 40 years and with my parents for another 10 at least. NEVER had this kind of problem.

Emailed Ferry Morse for assistance, totally ignored.

Will never buy Ferry Morse seeds again, total waste of time and money.
Negative alindrose
Boulder, CO
February 11, 2017
Not too long ago i bought a Ferry-Morse pH meter sold by FM at a price of $18.99. It was obviously made in China in association with Luster Leaf Products of Woodstock, IL. This was a biggest piece-of-shit I've ever bought in my gardening life! I'll never again buy anything from FM!
Neutral Kansas30
Shawnee Mission, KS
August 28, 2016
I bought a packet of Ferry Morse Giants of California zinnia seeds and another packet of Dwarf Teddy Bear sunflower ones at Walmart. Germination rate was very good, the plants grew healthy and the flowers were beautiful; but I noticed that the plants took a bit longer to reach maturity than some others whose seeds I bought from other companies, namely Renee's Garden and Burpee. I thought that was peculiar. That is why I rate my experience as neutral.
Negative gralmy
Indianapolis, IN
July 4, 2016
I bought a package of Thumbelina Zinnias for myself and one for my neighbor. I usually buy Burpee but they were out. I've been growing zinnias my whole life. The variety of colors is one of the things I love about them.

I got all shades of PINK. No yellows, oranges, violet, etc. PINK. same with my neighbor

I also bought Giant Cactus Zinnias for both of us. They are not Cactus, they are normal zinnias.

Won't buy this brand again.
Negative Amara1111
Niceville, FL
October 2, 2015
I feel a duty to inform/warn others my daughter and I both purchased alleged "organic non-gmo ferry morse seeds" from wal-mart this spring-planted garden-discovered we'd been had by gmo plants. Nothing produced although plants grew tall and even budded as if they would. After exam of both gardens we saw the same genetic deformities in both our plants. Specifically, bell peppers and tomatoes. As soon as budded the ends fell off! We are not unfamiliar with gardening just accuse of buying on the cheap. NEVER again! Its allot of work for NOTHING!!
Negative suzyk1
Yarmouth Port, MA
June 4, 2015
I bought 3 packets of Ferry Morse Thunbergia (Black Eyed Susan Vine) seeds at Home Depot for $1.35 each. I got only 2 seeds each in two packets and 3 seeds in one packet. What a rip off! I'll never buy Ferry Morse again.
Negative applejelly
Montgomery, AL
May 28, 2015
I purchased about 10 dollars worth of various Ferry-Morse seeds. The only seeds to germinate were the butterfly weed and only four have survived. Purchased coneflowers, zinnias, butterfly weed, climbing black eyed susan and several more.

All the Burpee seeds I planted germinated and are well established. Never purchase another Ferry-Morse packet of seeds again. They had me doubting my own green thumb! Never had such a terrible experience with seeds before.
Positive GreenMan7a
Conover, NC
April 16, 2015
I have had very good luck with my Ferry-Morse seed packs in this 2015 growing season. I have germinated packs of Moss Rose, Coleus and Foxglove. A conservative estimate is that 80% of my seeds germinated and grew. Each seed pack germinated very quickly with the Moss Rose sprouting in less than 4 days. All germinating was done indoors with either plastic or saran wrap covering the containers.

Positive impatiens2015
Raleigh, NC
March 27, 2015
Tropical Fizz Impatiens seeds are wonderful. I bought some at Home Depot Jan 2015 to start indoors. Excellent germination! Strong seedlings. Far superior to impatiens seeds I ordered from Burpee and Park. I will definitely buy again!
Negative p1mkw
Danville, IN (Zone 5b)
January 22, 2015
I should have looked at the comments here before buying their seed at Lowe's ... shame on you, Lowe's for even selling their worthless seeds. I bought 3 packets of seeds ... jalapeno and California wonder peppers and spinach. not one jalapeno seed has germinated and so far nothing from the spinach either. I planted lettuce (from another source) at the same time as the spinach and it's already up. After reading some of the comments here, I wonder if the California Wonder seeds that did germinate are in fact California Wonder. Never again.
Negative Raywill
Morton Grove, IL
July 6, 2014
I purchased Canterbury Bells Seeds from Lowes about month ago and i found that the flowers are not Canterbury Bells it is just a wiled flowers, I have the pictures after it grows up to prove it. It is a scam.
Negative mrdoitall
Moores Mill, AL
January 18, 2014
This is all I need to know.>>> OWNED BY MONSANTO OR SEMINIS OR SELL SMALL PERCENTAGES OF SEEDS FROM THEM.
Positive 7AcreOrchard
Bluefield, WV
April 26, 2013
I was on a mission to find nasturtiums and scarlet runner beans for my garden this year. You can imagine how excited I was to have found a single packet with an assortment of seeds that included everything I was looking for! When I got home, it was disappointing to discover that the packet was missing my scarlet runners. I would've let it go, but I REALLY wanted those scarlet runners so I emailed Ferry-Morse. I got a pleasant response within minutes, including an apology and a promise to make the situation right. Two days later I received a healthy replacement package for the one I had purchased. Overall, Ferry-Morse is an excellent company with great customer service and clearly a desire to make their customers happy which is refreshing in this day and age.
Negative tablerocktina
Fountain Inn, SC (Zone 8a)
August 6, 2012
This year I planted sunflowers from Ferry Morse and had zero germination rate. Also planted spinach seeds and got great germination except what came up was certainly not spinach,but an aggressive weed. I am an experienced gardener. I emailed the company just asking for them to make some kind of response, but they never responded. They've lost my business, but I don't think they care.
Positive lssfishhunter
Jonesville, SC (Zone 7b)
May 25, 2012
I have used Ferry-Morse seeds on many occasions throughout the years. I find that germination rates are good and never have I been not satisfied with any on their products. If I need squash, cantaloupes, or cucumbers, I typically look for Ferry-Morse because they are very reliable. When I need larger amounts of seeds like okra and beans, I do not buy Ferry-Morse because they do not provide the amount of seeds that I need for planting and I will not buy several packets because I can get it cheaper by buying in bulk for other sources. In review, I am very happy with Ferry-Morse and happily buy their products.
Negative bicyclehead
Warren, MI
August 24, 2011
I have been gardening for years. I had never planted spinach or lettuce before so I had no idea what the seeds looked like. This was also the first time I planted seeds from this company. The plants that grew from the seeds from the Ferry Morse spinach and lettuce packets turned out to be nothing more than weeds. I don't like to eat weeds, complete waste of my time and money.
Negative FerryMorseRipMe
Gorman, NC
July 12, 2011
Ferry Morse is Pirate Company / resaling seeds that buy from anybody. I got 20 packs of "Texas Bluebonnet", but instead y got a WEED= Commelina diffusa [a very aggressive weed] invading my garden. I talked to them in the phone, about it. they said that they buy seeds from different people.. Blah.. blah. They will send me, the seeds I want. They never send me the seeds, that I paid for.
Ferry Morse are riping off people. And even if you talk to them, they do not fix the problem, because they are THIEFS
DO NOT BUY SEEDS FROM THESE CROOKS!!!!!!!!!!!.
FERRY?MORSE=WILL ROBE YOUR MONEY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.
I plan to talk to LOWE's, to advise them about it.
Positive AS
(Zone 7a)
April 5, 2011
Posted on September 13, 2010, updated April 5, 2011
Posted on May 12, 2010, updated September 13, 2010
Posted on May 12, 2010, updated May 12, 2010
I've picked up their seed packets from time to time in stores, and they were fine. Not a huge selection of varieties, but you don't expect that from a seed rack. Had no problems with germination or seedling vigor. There were no GMO seeds among the packets I picked up. But I can't see any reason for them to market those to home gardeners, in any case.
On May 12th, 2010, AS added the following:

btw, folks, if you have flowers on your vegetables but no vegetables, you might want to look into pollination issues.
On September 13th, 2010, AS added the following:

I can't speak to philosophical objections about company links with commercial companies selling GMO seeds, because I haven't looked into it, but as far as the seed packets from the store, they're stated not to be GMO (//homeharvestseeds.com/ferrymorsemain.htm)/

"Ferry-Morse Seeds are not chemically treated in any way.
All Ferry-Morse seeds are non-GMO.
Pelleted seeds are pelletized with an organic clay mix."

GMO seeds are really designed for commercial growers. (How many of us home gardeners would want or need "Round-up ready" seeds or similar?). They're also more expensive, so there's no good reason for most seed suppliers to try to sell them to home gardeners.

Guarantees are just guarantees. :) Many plant companies have them. It just means they'll replace the packet if they don't grow.
On April 5th, 2011, AS added the following:

Just in case my earlier posts giving info about GMO look a little nuts.... :) Some people were concerned earlier about Ferry Morse seeds being GMO, though those posts seem to have been edited since then.
Positive eaglewerks
Cowgill, MO (Zone 6a)
April 5, 2011
I live in Very rural Missouri. There are 17 stores within 20 miles of my village that carry a full selection of FM seed! Prices vary by store, but are generally $1 a packet at WalMart. I grow a garden every year, about 25' x 60'. I have found that the seed from FM is more correct to variety than other vendors. This year I had to buy all new seed, as my cleaning lady defrosted my freezer and threw away all my saved seed. I purchased about $100 of seed packets at WM this early Spring. I found that the pelleted "early girl tomato" seeds were crushed and damaged. I telephoned FM and their customer service representative and she apologized for the problem. She noted that she was also sprouting in jiffy pellets some of the same variety for her home garden. She asked what other varieties I grew and had a pleasant conversation. Two weeks later I received a envelope in the mail, containing two replacement packets of the Early Girl, plus packets of Rutgers, Boxcar Willie, Beefsteak, and a Large Cherry type. I also planted 72 plants each of FM Roma and FM Small Cherry. All are now about 4 inches tall in their jiffy pellets in flats. I still have to bring them in on cooler days. Today I just started my FM cucumber, zucchini, winter squash, and chard. I will be able to plant all of the above sometime in May (this being written in early April) . At that time I will sow all the rest of the seed I purchased. I have never had any problem with FM seed if I followed normal planting procedures. I have never had better customer service than that which I received from FM. Their Gardner's Helpline is: 1-800-283-3400, and is listed in fine print on each packet of seed.
Positive GuyInTheField
Cranbury, NJ
January 7, 2011
I purchased Ferry Morse black hollyhock and double pink hollyhock seeds at Lowes. The germination rate on the black hollyhock was near 100%. On the pink, however, it was about 25%. I sent an email to the company describing my experience. The customer rep responded that this particular hollyhock was being discontinued, but they managed to find some extra packets and ship them to me. They sent me 3 packets!! It was too late for me to plant them (zone 4) - but I'm sure I get good results when I plant them this spring. My friends and I have have bought Ferry Morse at other times, and have always had good results. I'm already planning my garden for this year (perennials) and already have 15 packets on my list. A friend of mine always says that with gardening, you can have all the conditions perfect and you don't get the results you expect. And, sometimes, when the conditions are terrible, and you expect nothing, you'd be surprised at what you get. All too often we forget that seeds are from a plant that is from nature. So, there is a chance that your seeds might not germinate. But, with a company like Ferry Morse, that stands behind its product, and will replace the seeds for free - why not take a chance. If it doesn't happen the first time, maybe the second time it will.
Negative sunnieday
Burbank, CA
September 11, 2010
I couldn't find any other ones where I was shopping...so I bought some - and they were sprouting fine until today - so I was going replant I am trying to go organic and hopefullly will eventually be self-sustaining with solar panels and growing my own food.
Neutral CountryCoach
Weeki Wachee, FL (Zone 9b)
July 28, 2010
Brooksville, FL; zone 9 Hot/humid

Reading all the comments in this thread has been very interesting. I would like to add my thoughts.

It is important to make sure the seeds purchased will work in your zone. Here I need “heat tolerant” seeds for veggies/tomatoes/etc. Herbs don't seem to be affected.

Any days with a temp over 86 deg is a "heat day" & we have plenty of them here. I don't buy F/M seeds for that reason but the Blue Lake Bush Beans did do well but were not in full sun all day. They got a lot of shade but it is still hot outside.

I found “heat tolerant” seeds from http://www.sustainableseedco.com
I found “heat tolerant” tomato seeds from http://www.ambersorganics.com (this may not be a good link but it would say Amber's Organics. I did a lot of research to find these seeds.

On the problem of lots of squash flowers but no fruit could very well be a pollination problem as bees are in short supply. The flowers can be hand pollinated with a Q-tip as both male/female are on the same plant. The female stem has a little bulge under the flower; male does not.

Seeds of change also sells “heat tolerant” seeds and I have a list that was given to me which I will gladly pass on to those of interest.

My email: [email protected]
Please put “need heat tolerant seed info from seeds of change” in the subject line so I will know what it is about & won't delete the email.

To get more bees/butterflies in your yards it is a great idea to plant flowers that attract them. Butterflies will pollinate but not to the same degree as bees. I only purchase flowers that are attractive to bees & butterflies for this reason.

I hope this information will be of a help to you all.
Negative FlowerFriends
Fair Lawn, NJ
July 16, 2010
We bought Giant, Violet Queen Zinna Seeds from Ferry-Morse Seed Co., then planted them, and carefully watered and nursed them!
What we got were poor, single, pinkish Zinna flowers! Real trash that should not be sold--talk about enforcing Truth-in-Advertising!
We were going to complain to the company, but after doing a google-search of the company, Everyone but us knew they sold junk seeds, which were not as pictured on their seed packs!
Do NOT buy seeds from Ferry-Morse! To see what we were sold, and what actually grew, please see the posted picture at: harryposter.com/FM01.jpg
Negative dianne99
Brookville, KS (Zone 5b)
May 11, 2010
Posted on May 11, 2010, updated May 11, 2010
I will never buy this brand of seed again, and do not recommend it to anyone. It is everywhere in stores, and I've planted dozens of packets over the years. The packets have pretty (but inaccurate) pictures, and Ferry-Morse probably stays in biz selling to inexperienced gardeners and ones who do not keep brand info. After reviewing my seed info, I finally figured out that they are the worst quality seed of any I have ever grown. Not just once, consistently, over the years, different species, ... Not just germination, but plant species quality--nearly weeds. If germination is good, the plants are of such poor quality that I end up destroying them. Or seeds are of a different variety than the pack said. I formerly thought this was my fault, but no, not when it happens every time (I plant at least 30 new-to-me species per year--and examined 3 years of records). I would not buy from them if I was a beginner, you'll only get discouraged. I would not buy their brand if I was experienced, resulting plants are very poor quality--some were so bad that I am now fighting them as weeds--got almost 100% germination on that lot...go figure. Buy any other brand, esp. in a store, they are all better...my records have proved this to me. Ferry-Morse needs to improve their quality, only their marketing and trusting buyers keep them afloat.
Negative chuckearthdog
West Lafayette, IN
August 22, 2009
Bought squash and pumpkin seeds for our garden in the spring. Plants were healthy and growth rate very good. A good amount of flowers early on and continued throughout the year. But no veggies!! The only plant that is producing a single veggie is a gourd!!! -it was supposed to be a yellow squash!! The lot number for the squash is 2009 lot01 for season USA 12/09.

Thinking that it was my garden or some other issue, I started a second batch in July with different soil conditions. Still same problem. Loads of growth, flowers...no vegetable production. Something's wrong with this batch.

A neighbor friend of mine had the same probs with Ferry Morse products ( good growth, flowers and no veggies at all) At least I got a single gourd for my trouble.

We're both pretty disappointed and won't be using Ferry Morse again.

I still have seeds left over if anyone else wants to try. But I'm thinking something got botched. Next spring I'll be using anything but Ferry Morse.

Positive GartenBee
August 10, 2009
I shop their seed at my local hardware store because of convenience. All have grown into healthy, producing vegetables despite fog problems we've been having lately. I even planted a slightly expired seed packet of crookneck squash and it too grew!
Positive nomorerain
Boynton Beach, FL
August 10, 2009
I am shocked to read all the negative comments re this company, Ferry Morse.
I planted Ferry Morse seeds almost exclusively when we lived up North and had excellent results.
Their Hybrid cucumbers were ALWAYS outstanding, I always planted two hills by the back patio, (I would stake them) and a few tomatoe plants also. What a set up we had. we also had a very large garden. BUT THOSE FERRY MORSE HYBRID CUKES WERE ABSOLUTELY THE BEST. Also used them for pickles, outstanding.!!!!!!!!!!
Negative loiseb
Wallkill, NY
June 17, 2009
With the rising cost of food, we decided to plant a garden. Great idea, but our mistake was using ferry morse seeds. We planted beans, peas, carrots, beets, cucumbers, and watermelon. We have hardly any plants. Very few seeds germinated. Waste of time for this year. You can bet next year we won't be using ferry morse products.
Positive sharon5840
East Prairie, MO (Zone 6b)
May 11, 2009
I have purchased Ferry Morse seed both locally in stores and over the internet. All of my results have been excellent. I have seed from years past that is still germinating good. Although you may not get an extreme variety the majority of my plantings are the old stand bys anyway. And Ferry Morse prices can't be beat on those. I do purchase a few new varieties of some seed each year from other sources just to test if they live up to their reviews. And I pay dearly for those seeds. Ferry Morse seed is Guaranteed To Grow and their phone number is 800-626-3392 should you have any problems. The most reasonably priced site for their seed I have found is The Pumpkin Nook, garden seeds are $2.49 per order.
Positive Farmerdill
Augusta, GA (Zone 8a)
April 2, 2009
I will pick up packets of Ferry Morse seeds from seedracks from time to time. This is current distribution system. Never had a problem with mislabeled seeds or poor germination. They do not have as wide a selection as on-line companies, but no seedrack does. They do have a few outstanding cultivars that are not found elsewhere, or are hard to find elsewhere. Thier Sugar Dots corn is superb in its class.
Negative bill247
Maricopa, AZ
April 1, 2009
We purchased Ferry-Morse several kinds of vegetable seeds. Also, we purchased Burpee seeds. When we planted them in our garden, Burpee seeds did great while Ferry-Morse took 3 times the time to rejuvenate and did not grow. I mean all Ferry-Morse seeds. When I called and I was told to buy a chemical which costs $12.00 and use it. What a stupid advice. I hope Ferry-Morse go out of business.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Tour | Contact Us ]