The scoop on 'Territorial Seed Company'

Territorial Seed Company

Cottage Grove, Oregon 97424 (United States)

Fax: 1-888-657-3131

Catalog Order Page: Hyperlink
Paper Catalog Cost: Free

» Like them on Facebook
This company is affiliated with 1 company:This company offers a variety of seeds.

Company Comment, posted on December 10, 2001:
Backyard gardeners and market growers have learned from experience that there really is a difference in vegetable varieties. Not only in how they perform, but also in how they taste. If you like to garden, or are thinking about gardening, then Territorial Seed Company's catalogs contain just about all the help you need.

Unique to Territorial Seed Company is their 44-acre trial grounds and organic research farm, located in London Springs, Oregon. Each year Territorial's research staff grows and evaluates thousands of varieties. Those available in their catalogs have been grown at their trial grounds and have passed stringent quality requirements. They offer seeds for over 800 vegetable, herb, flower, cover crop, and sprouting varieties. These seeds are not genetically modified or engineered.

At Territorial, they pay close attention to how long it takes for vegetables such as corn and cauliflower to be ready for harvest. They seek out varieties that fill openings in days to maturity from a common planting date so that gardeners can be assured of having good tasting fresh-from-the-garden food all season long. Also important to them are cultivars rich in vital nutrients. They also offer a wide range of high-quality vegetable, herb, and flower plants, garlic, potatoes, and garden accessories.

Territorial Seed Company publishes two catalogs yearly, one each for spring and winter gardening, and both are chocked full of planting and growing tips. Call for a catalog or visit their website.

Comments:

Displaying the 50 most recent comments:

Negative RJG
Calgary,
Canada
December 13, 2017
Outrageous shipping costs to Canada. Was planning to order a couple of packages of tomato seeds and shipping was shown as $22.95 US. I checked their published shipping policy and the amount aligned, $7.95 + $15.00. Seems like very little risk they'll get a Canadian order any time soon.
Positive faerygardener
Murphys, CA (Zone 7a)
June 30, 2017
Ordered various flower and veggie seed from Territorial this past winter. Happy to report that they all germinated quickly and I now (June) have robust plants from their seed. I'll use this company again.
Negative Cville_Gardener
Clarksville, TN (Zone 6b)
April 27, 2017
I wish I could add a photo. I received two "plants" from this company. What they really are is sprouted seeds, one in each pot. The shipping was more than the cost of the plants. $15 for nothing. Won't make that mistake again.
Positive AS
(Zone 7a)
February 10, 2017
I've ordered from Territorial a few times and had good experiences with their seeds (germination, etc). My orders were complete and I haven't had to contact customer service. Shipping was slow, but that wasn't unexpected since I'm on the other coast. But I did notice that their supplies tend to be more expensive than the same items from other companies. If I can get it elsewhere, I generally do, and have saved $10-$20 per item. I did feel rather cheated on some plastic cloches. For the high price - roughly $40 for 3, I think - I was expecting something sturdy that would last for many years. Nope - they're very flimsy plastic. And a tiny plastic vent in the top doesn't justify the high price. I would have better better off sticking to used milk jugs.
Positive Haertel
Galena, IL
February 10, 2017
I have only ordered from Territorial Seed a couple of times, but my recent experience really solidified my good feelings. Following is a portion of an email I sent them: I wanted you to know how outstanding your customer service people are. I placed my order the day BEFORE you on-line sweet pea offer went into effect. Being one of those people you has always operated under the premise of “if you don’t ask, it won’t happen”, I called and asked if there was any way I could be included in that offer. Unfortunately, my order had already shipped. Oh well. The lady on the phone was so nice and I COMPLETELY understood why I had just missed the offer. No bad feelings on my part; just not lucky. My seed order arrived two days later. Two days after that, my sweet peas arrived, complete with a note “in memory of your great grandmother.” I remember telling your CS person about my great grandmother and her sweet peas – as well as that I hadn’t really thought about either until I saw the offer. Yes, that really was/is true.
Positive Rustyfork
Glenmont, NY
January 19, 2017
Posted on January 17, 2017, updated January 19, 2017
Despite seeing some bad reviews of this company, I began ordering from Territorial about 6 years ago and they have become one of my go-to places for seed.

Territorial has probably the best catalogue out there - tons of information for the gardener on planting and a large selection of heirlooms and hybrids and the seed is viable for several years (case in point, I\'ve had almost 100% germination on 2 year old parsnip seed and 4 year old carrot seed). The seed prices are very comparable with other seed companies (I sit down and compare across 15 catalogues every January). While many have complained about the shipping costs, I am finding that the shipping isn\'t so outlandish.

My one complaint with Territorial is on its lack of transparency about stock. I place my orders via the internet and while other companies indicate whether something is out of stock and the date it is expected back in stock, Territorial doesn\'t do this. Indeed, order confirmation emails also stay silent in the matter and it is not until an order arrives that there is any indication that there is an order problem; you have to call to actually get any information in when they expect an out of stock item to arrive). On a couple of occasions, Territorial has left me without onion seed at a time when I have a very short planting window and I have had to cancel and order elsewhere, increasing my shipping costs. As such, I typically order only items from them that I do not need quickly, or items that can be sown several times during a season.

This year I have gone against my own advice and once again ordered Onion seed (now Copra isn\'t available I needed a replacement and they specifically mentioned that they have a variety that is similar/better than Copra) and hope that they will actually fulfill the order (I do have another variety of onion seeds from another source that fulfilled my order placed the same day as the Territorial order that has not yet shipped).
On January 19th, 2017, Rustyfork added the following:

Order update: the order placed on January 10 was filled on January 12 and arrived on January 19. Everything was in the package - nothing backordered, so Onion seed sowing can take place in early February! I continue to recommend Territorial Seed Co.
Positive dudelt
Bellevue, WA
December 7, 2016
Have ordered from this company for almost 20 years. Overall, I have had good experiences. I have even had them send me, free of charge, special seeds, not in their catalog anymore, because I asked for them. I will agree, the shipping is a bit much but, I love supporting a small business that provides seeds that really grow in my unique Seattle climate. Besides that, most of the seeds they have sold me have lasted for years and continued to germinate way beyond my expectations of seeds I left sitting on my shelf in the garage.
Negative marinaradad
Livermore, CA
July 18, 2016
Ordered an "Olla" for my vegetable garden - it is a clay pot designed to be buried, filled with water, and then the water seeps out through the unglazed sides to water the plants around it. I was intrigued by the idea as a water-saving tool during our hot summers. At best, it waters less than an inch around the pot, which is pretty useless considering its impossible to plant so closely to the pot knowing the mature size of the plants. I wish it functioned the way they claim in their catalog.
Positive smilingred
Madison, WI (Zone 5a)
July 7, 2016
I've ordered seeds and recommend Territorial Seeds for over a decade without incident.
This year I ordered some live plants to round out my vegetable and herb gardens.
They let me know when the plants were coming and the packaging was great.
Just over a month later we've already started eating beautiful eggplant and will have tomatoes in the next two weeks.
I've never seen tomato plants take off like these are doing. The stems are so strong that we didn't even need to use the tomato cages. By the way all 3 different varieties that we got are much higher than the cages already.
Negative artemiss
Toledo, OH (Zone 5b)
January 17, 2016
Posted on January 17, 2016, updated January 17, 2016
I have ordered from this company numerous time without incident. I will not be ordering from them again after this last time where my card was erroneously charged nearly an additional $100 on a Saturday before holiday weekend, leaving that account in the red for a duration of several days, causing me to accrue fees and multiple charges being rejected at great expense to my own reputation. (Due to the bank holiday, all deposits were delayed until Tues, and this account is kept at a low margin due to fraud concerns. Other small dollar orders that were outstanding on that account were rejected due to the overage before I realized it had been charged in error)
Yes, they promptly responded and issued a refund-that won\'t hit my account until Tuesday night at the earliest. Furthermore, the methodology by which they placed the hold for the charge was unusual and not one my bank was able to reverse. There is no fixing this. I have no idea how many other people this happened to due to a \'third party error\', but my $100 order of seeds that I could have placed anywhere else wasn\'t worth this headache. I have no idea how many people were affected by this, but I am disgusted at being forced to be this company\'s line of credit for a long weekend due to some \'third party billing error\' that leaves my account in a negative limbo-and paralyzes all things tied to that account for several days. I cannot in good faith ever support this business again when I could have went with any number of sellers and not had this headache.
On January 17th, 2016, artemiss added the following:

UPDATE:

Reading through the negative reviews, BUYER BEWARE. It seems that this company has a history of random 'erroneous' charges showing up and being refunded a week or so later, and being abysmal at correcting it in any sort of timely manner.
Oh, the amount they are refunding? The first charge that hit a WEEK AGO. They kept money withdrawn in error for a week, and then, knowing they had mischarged me nearly $100, still billed the 'correct' amount BEFORE the refund hit. SHADY. Possibly fraudulent.
Do not give this company your financial info!
Negative ssmith24
Baggs, WY
December 28, 2015
sero seed is part of territorial seed company. Sero is supposed to be made by sustainable companies. they are not! the farm does not have animals to produce any fertilizers for produces seeds. sad, very sad to lie to everyone. people can drive by and look at their production farm to see for themselves. i was able to see by taking my niece to school which is about afew hundred feet away from there farm. Nothing but greenhouses and fields to grow plants. No animals, maybe a couple birds flying. Just want truth out there for everyone to be aware. Be weary of who your supporting.
Positive 4RealFood
Mount Orab, OH (Zone 6a)
June 12, 2015
Have placed two seed orders with this company since getting their catalog last year. No complaints thus far. I do like that on some varieties they offer an organic seed option.. but begs the question, why not go 100% organic?
I'll definitely still order some of the interesting varieties but won't do all of my shopping there since companies that are not 100% organic won't get 100% of my money. :)
Negative bonemealthugs
Philadelphia, PA
April 20, 2015
I placed an order on the first of the month, and I still haven't received it (it's now 4/20). Even though the shipping prices were extremely high, I still opted to place my small order with this company because they had some cool varieties. Last week, I mistakenly received an order totaling $50 from their company. When I called to notify them, the person on the phone was, for some reason, full-of-attitude and seemed very flustered by the situation. The person repeatedly asked me a very illogical question, "did you open the package?"

Well, yes, that's how I determined it wasn't my order.

"How did you open the package?"

"With a knife," I replied. It just didn't make sense. She, at first, seemed upset that I opened the mistaken order. Haha, okay!!

She talked to someone else and they told me to just keep the order, which is kind except I have nowhere to plant 90% of the seeds (most were big brassicas like cabbage and kohlrabi, I have a small city garden).

She was about to get off the phone when I had to ask again about the status of my package. She said the order had not been packed until the 14th, and that she tracked the package and it was set to arrive the 17th (the very next day). I was pacified by that. Then two business days go by and my order hasn't arrived. I emailed customer service to just make sure it is really coming, and I get a very brief and casual response saying it should arrive in another day or two.

People, I live in Philadelphia, not Beijing.

No one let me know there was a processing error and that it took two weeks to package my order. Both times I contacted customer service, the responses were unsatisfactory.

To conclude, I don't like leaving negative reviews, but I feel like gardeners who might be on a serious timeline should be aware of the shortcomings of this company.
Negative klorentz_2000
Killeen, TX (Zone 8b)
April 12, 2015
Posted on April 10, 2015, updated April 12, 2015
Back in December I tried to order plants. For some reason my card would not go through and they sent an email about that. Thinking the issue ended I just moved on. Fast forward 04/04/15. Found a charge on my card for 41.55 from Territorial . So I emailed them to cancel the order. No reply. Then an email from FedEx that the plants had been shipped. At no time did Territorial warn me they where going to try to recharge my card so I was unprepared for the extra expense. This money was earmarked for a utility payment so it did cause problems.

I will say the plants came in healthy but a lot smaller than I would expect given the price charged. I will not be doing business with them in the future because of this incident .
On April 12th, 2015, klorentz_2000 changed the rating from neutral to negative and added the following:

Still no reply from territorial . I am there for changing my rating to negative. Had this been any other company I deal with they would have replied asap.
Positive 57tired
Fishers, IN
April 3, 2015
The garlic I ordered and received (promptly) in 2014 was really nice. I planted it on Oct 27, 2014. When I pulled off the mulch in early March, the garlic had sprouted and I had 99+% germination. It is beautiful!
Neutral maddux3
Atlanta, GA
February 13, 2015
I've never had a problem with their seeds, but the shipping is just ridiculous. Example:
I place an order with Territorial and BC on the same day, both with flat rate shipping, both roughly the same number of seed packets.
Territorial- $7.95
BC- $3.50
I receive the BC order in less than 5 days. Territorial is still in transit (~7 days), but it was supposed to be delivered today. Why can another company do it for half the price?!
Negative AntGarden
Redondo Beach, CA
February 12, 2015
Was concerned at the excessive cost (lowest price: $7.95 via USPS) to ship 8 packages of seeds at a weight of <7 grams. While it took 2 days to receive a response to my 2 email (yes, I resent after receiving a not asking if there was an issue as my cart still had pending items). The eventual response I received was laughable. Not only did they email an attached form letter, they could not even be bothered to fill in the blanks to customize it to their customer who raised a concern:
"PO Box 158 Cottage Grove, OR 97424 phone (541) 942-9547 fax (541) 942-2614

Dear :

I know it seems unfair to you to pay $7.95 for Packaging and Insurance for a small amount of seed. What you need to understand is that there is much more involved in processing your order than postage.

You see, it takes about the same amount of time to do the following tasks to process your small order as it does to process our average order of $50.00:

a. Open your envelope
b. Enter your order into our computer system
c. Print an invoice and picking list
d. Labor to pick your order
e. Labor to double check your order
f. Labor to package and label your order
g. Labor to process your order through a manifest system
h. Apply postage to your shipment
i. Take your shipment to the post office or FedEx

After reading this I hope you understand our business a little better. We do appreciate your business.

Sincerely,

Customer Service"
Neutral GardenBits
La Center, WA
February 2, 2015
Love that the company is fairly local. They have lots of great seeds that have done well in my garden. And their catalogs contain plenty of information on growing their seeds. So, thumbs up for everything, except...

The cost. I just put in an order for 20 packets of seeds, which they charged me $7.95 to ship. I'm still blinking. An hour ago I put in an order for 27 packets of seeds to Baker Creek, and they charged me $3.50 to ship them across the country.

The Territorial seeds also seem more expensive (for OP, conventional seeds). Not hugely, not enough to keep me from ordering them, but in combination with the shipping costs...I think my next order, I'll stick to seeds from Baker Creek. Their seeds have mostly done well for me, too.
Positive Lysie
Waldron, IN
February 2, 2015
I ordered seeds and a floating row cover on Jan. 26, 2015. The nice lady who took my order did a very nice job and was very cheerful. I received an email that they were shipped on Jan. 28, 2015 and they safely arrived in a sturdy box on Jan. 30, 2015. The pretty colored seed packets were nice quality, had the seed name clearly stated at the top making it easy for me to keep them in a file box, and had considerable information about each with a picture on the front. Their colorful seed catalog was my favorite seed catalog that I received this season and I spent hours enjoying it. They carry a wide variety of flower and vegetable seeds This is the best seed company that I have ordered from in a very long time. I would definitely order from them again.
Negative reeve1
Posted on March 28, 2012, updated March 28, 2012
Posted on June 21, 2010, updated March 28, 2012
Posted on June 11, 2010, updated June 21, 2010
Posted on June 11, 2010, updated June 11, 2010
I have to agree with Daniel. I\'m trying to investigate some problems I had with an order and to attempt to have a normal conversation with them. It\'s like the person who responds is drunk or something? I get bits and pieces of a response (which I guess I should be grateful for) and it really doesn\'t address the questions I had about the problems with my order and now I cannot get another response. Fortunately, it was a small order for 4 seed packets, only 3 were available. But, based on the poor communication, I would put them in the category or \"Don\'t Bother\". I also charge on my credit card for a reason. Can you say - Chargeback!?
On June 11th, 2010, reeve1 added the following:

I ordered 4 seed packets and only 3 were in stock. Did shipping come down? NO!! I wish to also support those that have complained about the shipping cost. This is the highest of anyone out there - bar none!!! Gouging customers is going to last only so long and then you won\'t have anyone left to gouge. Let\'s not be ridiculous.
On June 21st, 2010, reeve1 changed the rating from negative to neutral and added the following:

I was able to resolve my major issue but there still remains a problem with what I feel like is gouging for shipping charges. A company should never try to make money off of shipping. The product is where profit should be made. Shipping is only a means to get the product to the customer and should be at cost or less. Any other company charges 1/2 of what these people charge. Until Territorial realizes this and lowers their shipping, I won\'t be ordering from them any more.
On March 28th, 2012, reeve1 changed the rating from neutral to negative and added the following:

I\'m finished shopping with Territorial Seed. I have ordered most every year for the past 4 or 5 years and seem to have some sort of problem each year. I purchased 7 seed packs this year, mostly Zinnias, and some that I had great germination rates with before. This year, I couldn\'t get 1 in 20 to germinate. I\'ve got seed packs from at least 5 companies in my 4 tier grow stand (over 288 seeds each time) and consistently I got poor germination from only the Territorial seeds. Some of my friends purchased Territorial Seeds and had the same low germtination problem this year. I also complained about not being able to reach them from the Contact Us link on the web site. It goes to a blank page. The response from Stephanie? Their lab had 92% germination and she didn\'t even comment about not being able to view the Contact Us page. They are either hiding or have their head in a deep, dark place. Either way, I\'m finished fighting with them and having them never fixing or acknowledging problems. Poor seed germination, ridiculous shipping costs, and a customer service that won\'t acknowledge any of this but keep their head in the sand. Good bye Territorial Seed. You can gouge and lie to someone else, until there are no more.
On March 28th, 2012, reeve1 added the following:

They refunded my seed order but that doesn\'t fix the problems and deception.
On April 10th, 2012, reeve1 added the following:

I\'ve enjoyed their seeds for many years, too. The sad thing is whenever you try to communicate with their customer service, it\'s as though it doesn\'t exist. A pleasant girl answers initial emails and then I got passed to Josh. I was never told who Josh is, and he never told me despite two emails that asked He never answered any of my questions and just kept telling me how busy he was. They won\'t address my question of why the shipping is so obviously over priced for a few seed packs. I\'m finally tired of asking and tired of paying exhorbitant prices, so I\'m leaving from the side of the sheep and going somewhere else! GOOD BYE Territorial Seed!
On January 23rd, 2015, reeve1 added the following:

I decided to check on prices again this month (Jan. 2015). The shipping prices are as RIDICULOUS as ever. I honestly don't know how these people can sleep at night. They don't care!They hand their boxes to the most expensive shipping company (FedEX) when they could accommodate their customers better by offering a better and cheaper choice. USPS Priority Overnight Mail is $12.55 to my location... Yes, from Oregon! I won't be back.
Company representative comment on March 28, 2012:
On Mar 28, 2012 8:00 AM, Territorial Seed Company responded with:

I'm sorry to hear about your experiences with our company. In regards to the zinnias that you ordered, I assure you that we do germination tests on every lot of seed that we get and our company's standards are higher than the federal germination standards (as Stephany apparently mentioned, we had a 92% germination rate on the variety in quesiton). I have not heard of any other germination problems with our zinnias this year so I am hoping that your case is isolated.

Regarding the "contact us" button on our home page, I just clicked on it and it went straight to the page: http://www.territorialseed.com/contact which has all of our contact information.

I see from your last comment that you were refunded on your order which I am glad to see since we stand behind our products 100%. You are certainly welcome to your opinions but I assure you that we are not hiding, lying, or deceiving as you mention above.

Best regards,

Josh Kirschenbaum

Positive orangepassion
Springfield, MO (Zone 6b)
October 9, 2014
In September, I ordered seeds for fall planting and 1/2 lb. garlic bulbs. I had excellent germination with the seeds (90-100%) and the plants are robust and producing beautifully in my fall garden. The garlic was shipped last week at the appropriate time for planting in my zone and I'll have to say, they are the healthiest looking bulbs I've ever seen and were well packaged to prevent any bruising in transit. The flat rate shipping on my order was also a nice bonus. Their customer service is great! My emails were answered promptly within an hour and I like the fact that they stand behind what they sell with a 100% satisfaction guarantee. I will definitely be placing future orders with Territorial - just wish I had tried this company sooner.
Negative cantgrow
CASTELLA, CA
May 18, 2014
Outlandish shipping costs.
I work for the post office and I know EXACTLY what it costs to ship what.
You can get MANY seed packages into a Priority envelope for $5.60 and they are free to the shipper, so there really is no cost other than the employee putting them into the envelope.
A Priority PADED envelope ships for $5.95
A small Priority box is $5.80
I will purchase elsewhere next year.
This seems to be a chief complaint to this company but they don't seem to care.
Positive Citro
Eden, MD
May 10, 2014
I ordered Queen red lime Zinna seeds and a Pink Jasmine. The Jasmine was about 20 inches high with flowers already! Excellent packing, I will order from them again!
Positive nmbirder
Albuquerque, NM
April 28, 2014
The seed I've bought from them really does well. When I once had some non-germinating seed, I let them know and it was promptly replaced.
I LOVE that I can order a single variety of tomato, pepper or other plants that are commonly sold in blocks of 4 or 6. It's a chance to try new varieties that are not locally available. I have discovered many new plants that now are mainstays in my garden such as Creme Brulee bell pepper. It's so much fun to try new items. Maybe something turns out to be not so great (like black tomato varieties for me) but it was worth finding out anyway. Go to the local place get all of the Beefsteaks and Celebrity tomatoes.
I have planted seed from packages that are several years old with good results.
Positive mac24
Litchfield Park, AZ
April 26, 2014
Excellent company. I usually place 2 orders a year and they are always filled promptly and arrive within a few days.

Great selection of OP seeds.

Seeds do well in hot, dry Phoenix, especially many of their tomatoes. I have a bumper crop of Oregon Spring tomatoes this year. Seeds always have excellent germination and high quality plants.

Shipping is a bit pricey but many companies have hiked their shipping charges.

They sell high quality products with good service. Overall, Territorial is first-rate.
Positive daveinsc
Scranton, SC
April 23, 2014
I also ordered seeds from territorial that had a 2013 date on the package,I went ahead and started them and had a 90% germination rate,a little better than seed purchased from another dealer.so thumbs up.
Positive Nannersone
San Diego, CA
January 14, 2014
We ordered from them last year (Spring 2013) - Rutgers Space Tomatoes and several packets of seeds. The shipping seemed high, but we did agree to it before we ordered so cannot complain. The tomatoes were small when they arrived, but quite healthy and grew amazingly quickly when we planted them. They gave us quite a lot of absolutely wonderful tomatoes. The seeds also did well. Shipping was extremely well-done, well packed, and prompt. The quality of everything we ordered was exceptional. I have no problems recommending them.
Negative gourmetgardens
Cookeville, TN
November 22, 2013
BUYERS BEWARE OF OLD SEEDS! I received an order of seeds today, Nov. 22, 2013. When I looked at the packets I realized that they were packed for the 2013 growing season and not the 2014 growing season. I called customer service and explained that I was not happy about receiving the old seeds. It is dishonest of them to push last planting season's seeds at a time of the year when customers are planning next season's crops. Customer service made it clear that this is how they operate. I ordered seeds from Baker Creek Seeds on the same day that I placed my order with Territorial Seeds and Baker Creek sent me seeds for 2014. You decide who is the more reputable company. Territorial Seeds told me I could send them back but after I thought about it - I decided it that I had already paid $7.50 shipping on 8 packets of seeds and it would probably cost $5.00 to ship them back. Then I would have spent over $12.00 in shipping charges and have nothing for my money . I have been a loyal customer for years. No longer!!! Territorial Seeds' policies and customer service are clearly anti-customer. GOODBYE TERRITORIAL SEED COMPANY!
Company representative comment on December 27, 2013:
On Dec 27, 2013 4:32 PM, Territorial Seed Company responded with:

Dear gardener, first and foremost; if you are ever unsatisfied with your purchase from Territorial we will refund that purchase to you promptly.

I believe I can explain why you received the ‘packed for’ date that you did, but to do this a bit more insight into industry seed packaging procedures is required. At Territorial we purposely strive to package our seed as close to the start of the year ‘packed for’ dated as possible. To illustrate; our 2014 catalogs are scheduled to be delivered in-home the last week of December 2013, so you can understand how the months of November and December of 2013 are the busiest packaging months to start the ‘packed for’ selling season of 2014. By law with a fresh seed germination test we could in fact start packaging way before that, say clear back in July 2013 for the entire 2014 season if we desired to, and quite frankly this is standard operating procedure for many seed firms. Having seed packaged and on the shelf for 18 months is not unheard of at all, especially for those companies with a national seed rack distribution program. The reason we don’t operate this way is that at Territorial we tend to purchase and grow a lot of our own fresh ‘new crop’ seed, and these new seed crops come into our warehouse towards the end of the calendar year. The resulting just- in- time seed packaging ensures that filled seed packets are on the shelf or even rack displays for the shortest time possible, staying as fresh as possible before being sold to you. This short time period in the packet is further enhanced by the fact that we normally pull seed packets off the shelf at our normal end of seed selling season, which is sometime in November, and we resume seed sales again with the following “packed for” seasons seed as it becomes available in December. Your order seems to have been processed in this time period just previous to discontinuing one season and starting another. All these procedures here at Territorial help to ensure that the majority of our seed sold is fresh as possible. So please keep this in mind when you see seed packets on store shelves in September or October with the next years “packed for” date on them, or even when you receive them mail order dated this way. Just by looking at the ‘packed for’ date as you described does not tell you how long the seed as been really packaged, nor how fresh the seed is.
Tom Johns
President

Positive drmurphy
Virginia Beach, VA
June 7, 2013
Over the winter I placed an order for a number of different items: tomatoes, peppers, mint, olive trees and they were almost all scheduled to ship at different times. I was very happy with the pricing, item accuracy, shipping and condition of plants upon arrival. I would definitely recommend them. My only issue is I would have like a little better communication (email) on when things were going to ship because I travel for work and was afraid items would be taken care on arrival (minor issue).
Positive HoneybeeNC
Charlotte, NC (Zone 7b)
April 25, 2013
I've tried growing French Tarragon over the years, without success. Either the plants turned out to be NOT true French Tarragon, or the plants died!

I finally had success with a French Tarragon plant I purchased from Territorial Seed. They shipped it on time as promised. Although it looked as though it had died during the winter, it sprang up this spring as soon as the weather warmed. Today, (April 26 2013) I snipped the first leaves.

//www.territorialseed.com/product/1515/1515
Positive linzelu100
HUDDLESTON, VA
April 18, 2013
I agree with other posting reviews that shipping costs are ridiculous here. I would order from them more often if it wasn't for this. That being said, I did know the cost of shipping when I ordered, so I am not reviewing based on that. My seeds came in good time and they have germinated well. I also love their selections. I ordered from them regardless of shipping costs, because I really wanted to try purple peacock broccoli. I was really shocked by how many seeds they gave me. I paid a lot of money for that packet and it was stingy. I also really liked the lettuce selection. The decriptions are so very helpful in deciding. Some places just describe looks/flavor. I need to know about weather conditions. I would order again from them, but it would have to be something really, really interesting to get me to pay those shipping costs, especially when I know how few seeds are in each packet.
Positive TucsonTomato
Suisun City, CA
April 17, 2013
Although Territorial Seed Company is pretty pricy – especially with some of their cucumber seed, which can cost up to $1.00 per seed – I have had a relatively good experience with their products.

Each year I have purchased seed from Territorial the seed has grown as described and some of the varieties I have grown from them have become some of my favorite. Territorial offers many hard-to-find open-pollinated vegetable varieties that are well worth trying out. That is what keeps me coming back to them year after year.

Overall, I would not buy seeds from Territorial if they did not have want I want to buy. Their shipping and their seeds are expensive. That being said, they have always done a very good job keeping their seed varieties pure and have always provided me with high-quality seed. I’m sure they would have much more business if they lowered their prices a bit!

Thanks Territorial.
Positive squashee
Blackwell, OK
March 8, 2013
I have ordered from this company for at least the last ten years and have always been extremely satisfied with their seeds and customer service. While their shipping rates are high I pay them to get quality seeds that I know will grow AND produce for me reliably year after year. Last year my husband even ordered a product from them in early December for a Christmas present and even though their catalogs weren't published yet and they had limited staff, if any, they made sure we received our order before Christmas eve. Two thumbs up!!!
Positive lilygrandma
Ellijay, GA
March 7, 2013
Posted on March 5, 2012, updated March 7, 2013
Posted on March 12, 2011, updated March 5, 2012
Posted on April 12, 2010, updated March 12, 2011
Posted on June 23, 2009, updated April 12, 2010
Another order to Territorial filled completely and quickly with no backorders (this late in the season!) and arrival here from the W.Coast in 4 days (including the weekend) from placing the order!

Also, called and talked to a customer rep who was terrific!

I cannot recommend this company enough! Wish they had a Southern counterpart!
On April 12th, 2010, lilygrandma added the following:

Can this company move to the South? Then I would have my seeds in a matter of hours! Oregon to Georgia in 4 days--everything complete. Can't wait to see the germination of these seeds!
On March 12th, 2011, lilygrandma added the following:

6 day shipment this time--very good, but onion plants backordered, and no indication of WHEN/IF they would arrive. Need to know so I can order from another company. I will try to call them Monday and find out what is up. I have always had good luck with their seeds.
On March 5th, 2012, lilygrandma added the following:

I received the seeds this year in great time--4 days from Oregon to Georgia! My seeds did well last year, and I hope this continues.

I am a little sad that 2 types of seeds are back ordered, but the representative told me this when I called in the order. I had hoped by ordering earlier, there would be no back orders.

Looking forward to more business with this company!
On March 7th, 2013, lilygrandma added the following:

Yet again, my order came within a week. I am looking forward to growing these seeds. Their seeds have always done well in my garden!
Company representative comment on March 14, 2011:
On Mar 14, 2011 7:45 AM, Territorial Seed Company responded with:

Hello, and thank you for the nice comments! Onion plants are shipped directly from our supplier to you and they ship according to where you live. We send our supplier orders a couple of times per week and they are usually very prompt at getting the plants out. Feel free to call to find out specifics about your order.

Positive hjulich
Des Moines, IA (Zone 5a)
December 15, 2012
I have placed orders with Territorial each year for at the past six or seven years. I have always found the seeds to be good quality and the shipping fast. Yes, the shipping charges are a bit high, so I'm careful to order what I need all at once. I used up some five-year old seeds this year and they had a better than 80% germination rate - a pleasant surprise and an indication of quality.
Positive SeniorGardening
Sullivan, IN
November 12, 2012
I think it’s probably just human nature that we tend to post comments about vendors when we have a problem with them. I certainly have done so here in the past. But when I put together my list of recommended seed suppliers for a Senior Gardening posting this year, I realized that I should make a positive comment here about each of our suppliers that have performed so well over the years.

We’ve used Territorial Seed Company for “spot orders” for the last several years, mainly ordering stuff we need but can’t find anywhere else. We’ve been satisfied with the results of each order.

//www.senior-gardening.com/features/suppliers.html
Negative libertyfarm
Ashland, OR
October 15, 2012
I opened a 1/2 pound bag of Fava Beans yesterday purchased from Territorial and out came broken glass with the Fava Beans. Really glad I didn't have kids working with me. I called the company and got an answering machine for customer service. No real help there. I am purchasing from even more local seed companies from now on.
Company representative comment on October 15, 2012:
On Oct 15, 2012 9:21 AM, Territorial Seed Company responded with:

I am very sorry that there was glass in your fava packet. I can honestly say that I have never heard of this happening before and can assure you that it is far from common. Our customer service staff is not here on Sundays but I checked with them this morning and it seems that they have already contacted you. If you have any additional concerns, please do not hesitate to contact us.

Positive Mmarycontrary
Medford, OR
June 25, 2012
I have purchased Territorial Seeds for several years and have become a devoted customer. I purchase the seeds from my local nursery, as the company is only 100 miles from my home.
For the first time, in May, I stopped by their store and greenhouse while traveling. I was impressed with their prices compared to my local nurseries and the interesting local plants that are difficult to find. I purchased quite a bit and everything I planted is growing beautifully; being strong, healthy plants. I will travel back next spring!
Positive Waldeburg
Puyallup, WA
June 18, 2012
As a fairly new gardener, I must say I love the TSC catalog! I call it my mini garden guide. It is full of all the plants' growing information and contains many color photos. While I agree the shipping costs when ordering a few packets of seeds is too high, there is a way around it. Contact your local nursery and ask them to consider TSC as their (or an additional) seed rack company. This way you can avoid shipping charges and support your local nursery. The seeds are pre-printed with the price on them & it is the same cost as the online & printed catalog. My local nursery stocks many varieties of seed from TSC so I can support my local ecomony while getting the seeds I desire.
Positive elderberrypress
Oakland, OR
May 9, 2012
Good folks, good seeds and veggie plants grown locally. Just called them up and the gal was friendly and helpful. Every time I've gone in to buy plants they are very friendly. A rare thing, today. Want to eat and buy locally? Then this is the place.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Tour | Contact Us ]